
i've been thinking a lot lately about my life's accomplishments, and how they have all happened s-l-o-w-l-y. little by little, day by day, i've worked that extra hour, listened to a friend or loved one in need, or just simply made the effort, over and over again, to build the life of my dreams.
unfortunately i tend to forget this... and then i see people getting promotions, thriving in relationships, starting new careers, and making it all look so easy. i forget that i too, worked hard to become a yoga teacher. i too, spent hours in the library pulling my hair out before getting my masters degree. i too, spent many moments soul-searching, learning, making mistakes, and then trying all over again, before finding true love.
but it all seems so "easy" when all we see are each others' end results. we don't see the moments when we first taught warrior poses without stumbling; the day we first opened up to our loves about our insecurities; the day we called our best friends and they really needed to talk; or the day we made the decision to skip a latte and save our pennies instead.
so i've decided we should really start celebrating the littlest of little things, don't you think? we should celebrate not just the first client we get... but the second. and we should celebrate the time we stayed up in headstand for half a minute... or the time we made really great pancakes.
because really, isn't that what it's all about anyway? xo.
i definitely needed this today...i completely agree that it can be so discouraging when all you see is how much everyone else is succeeding when it seems you're just working away. thanks for putting this into perspective, i'm definitely going to celebrate all of my little achievements!
ReplyDeleteNina, I definitely agree with the things you are saying. I feel like this also ties in to happiness. Appreciate each and every little thing and little step. I forget to do this a lot and find myself feeling unhappy and pessimistic. I'm really trying to remind myself to think positively and realize how truly lucky I am. And to realize more often than not that I am happy in so many segments of my life and just because I'm not thrilled with every aspect doesn't mean I'm not happy.
ReplyDeleteThanks for your words.
I've caught myself feeling/thinking this a lot lately..
ReplyDeleteNina, this is such a great reflection. Hopefully you will share it with your students in class!
ReplyDeleteso true and so eloquently put! thanks for sharing this. it is a lovely reminder to breathe and take comfort in little victories.
ReplyDeleteGreat reflection.. it's so true. Sometimes it does look easy too.. but we all have to work. True, some things do come easier than others for some people at certain times. However, I believe we are rewarded for hard work.
ReplyDeleteI have been listening to a Vancouver singer-songwriter a lot. He had to work HARD for his success. His attitude was that if things were going well, work harder, because that doesn't mean you can coast yet.
you truely could not have said it any better.
ReplyDeleteit is easy to get caught up in all the day to day mishaps, and forget about the successes. i sure hope to take the time to notice and celebrate the littlest of things too!
thanks for writing!
You are so right, Nina. I find myself always looking forward, pushing to reach the next milestone, withoug giving myself credit for the great things I have already accomplished in my life. It's amazing how quickly you forget just how hard it was to get where you are in this moment. It is a 2011 goal of mine to stop, reflect on the hard work I have put in to get where I am today, and to give myself some credit! It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in how I feel. Thank you for sharing :)
ReplyDeletethanks nina, I needed to hear this today :)
ReplyDeleteabsolutely :) i always feel like people make it seem so easy when i'm striving day in & day out, but they are too. it's easy to forget that.
ReplyDeletemuah! that's my kiss to all of you. :) thank you for reading.
ReplyDeleteThis is beautiful, Nina. Definitely something I'm going to take to heart.
ReplyDeleteyes yes yes, I couldn't agree more & you couldn't have said it better! It is my hopes to have this at the forefront of my mind this year.
ReplyDeleteWOW great post, really inspiring for the upcoming year. :-)
ReplyDeleteDefinitely!!! xo
ReplyDeleteWell put. So true, it is so easy to quickly look at other people without reflecting on what we have accomplished. So inspiring for the New year. Thank you.
ReplyDeleteyou have a way of speaking such truth, nina.
ReplyDeletelove to you. <3
exactly what i needed to hear today. i always feel so totally and completely behind. =(
ReplyDeletethank you for this - it was so wonderful to read and soak all of those simple but so true important words in.
ReplyDeleteAgreed! I needed this reminder. :) xoxo
ReplyDeletewhat a fine idea! i'm all for it.
ReplyDeletethis is amazingly inspiring. thank you!
ReplyDeletexo Alison
this is good.thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThis inspires me so much, Nina! Thank you, thank you! :-)
ReplyDeleteoxo
you are so wise!
ReplyDeletecouldn't have said it better myself. thanks for the much needed reminder!
ReplyDeletelove this post! thanks for your lovely thoughts :)
ReplyDeleteoh wow, this was juust what i needed today! somedays its so very easy to turn on the television and see people you think everything came easy to them! thanks for the perspective :)
ReplyDeleteYES!
ReplyDeleteLove this!
ReplyDeletethis is beautiful :)
ReplyDelete<3
I totally agree with you about the little things. I'm reading a little devotional book with quotes from Mother Teresa, and no one understands more about the little things than she does. You should pick one up, you'd probably very much enjoy it.
ReplyDeletelove love love this : )
ReplyDelete