on my bookshelf.



since i've become quite the bookworm in the last few months, i've decided to start a new series on the blog called on my bookshelf.  here i'll be able to share some of my recent favorites, and also get recommendations in return. :) yay! 

i'll start with the secrets to happiness by sarah dunn. this novel is reminiscent of chick lit, but it's better, and hilarious. i read the whole thing over the course of one plane ride, and i'd recommend it to anyone in the mood for a light and refreshingly honest story. 

so, tell me, what have you been reading lately? 

36 comments:

  1. aww that doggie on the cover is cute! I like this new feature! On my bookshelf is Eat Pray Love but honestly I haven't started it yet! =)

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have to pick that book up the next time I get to the bookstore. (Not for a while, because I currently have about 5 books lined up to read)
    Right now I'm reading It's Kind Of A Funny Story by Ned Vizzini. I'm only about halfway through, but I'd definitely suggest it! (I don't know if you've seen the commercials, but there's a movie based off of it. I got the book because I wanted to read it before seeing the movie)
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a lot of to-reads (looks like it's going to be a good year!) . . . I'm currently reading Into the Forest. It's not bad, although I wish I could sit down with it for a prolonged period of time to get into it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great ideas! p.s. i should've mentioned, i'm a library goer... so feel free to recommend things that are old(er). they're usually easier to find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cover already draws me in, it looks so fresh! I'm trying to read more books this year so I'm looking forward to this feature, and I'll be adding this book to my list of things to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to read that! Sounds wonderful! I'm reading East of Eden (oldie, but a goodie) right now and am enjoying it much more than anticipated. It's my second attempt to finish it, and so far so good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. two of my favorite reads from last year: The Help and Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society. I read Guernsey Literary on the plane to and from Puerto Rico - it's perfect for travel!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yippee! right now i'm reading bill bryson's at home. very good. but i think i need a novel to keep alongside it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i just finished Sara Gruen's Water for Elephants... haven't read such a good book in a long time. plus, the trailer for the upcoming movie adaptation looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad you are starting this series...I need good books to keep me entertained while the little one naps. I just added this to my queue at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  11. great idea! "an object of beauty" by steve martin. i hate people that are that ridiculously multitalented, but it's so good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Currently reading Kabul Beauty School, about a woman who opens up a beauty school in - you guessed it! - Afghanistan. Really, really good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. thanks for the recommendation nina! i really need to hit the library & start reading again! i miss it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. great idea - online bookclub sorta..
    best read last year: Lionel Shriver "Enough of That",
    Holiday read: Karl Hiassen ":Skinny Dip"
    Anytime: Eat Pray Love, The Guernsey Literary Potato Peel Society, Life of Pi,
    Life matters: The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin, Organised Simplicity by Tsh Oxenreider (simple mom blog)
    happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the idea! Currently, I'm finishing Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore, it's a great book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein, and "Room" by Emma Donoghue for my real-life book club.

    And, "Hector and the Search for Happiness" by

    Francois Lelord, for my virtual book club.

    Now, I have started "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor...for my sense of searching.


    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ooh, Tamuna...

    I have "Kafka on the Shore" lined up on my eBook list. Thanks for the reminder.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks for the suggestion! The cover is adorable. Do you use Goodreads.com? It's awesome.

    I'm reading Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this idea! Can't wait to see what else you read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm reading Certain Girls by Jennifer Weiner. Weiner is one of my go-to authors when I need some light, fictional reading. I'm also reading Eastern Body Western Mind by Anodea Judith--Seane Corn called this her "Chakra Bible". I cannot recommend this enough for anyone interested in psychology, spirituality, healing, & yoga. I am LOVING THIS BOOK!

    Peace, Love, Lipstick,
    & Namaste'
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  21. This book looks nice! I'll definitely keep it on my list! I just finished reading The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and it was wonderful! So sad I'm done with it. Love your blog by the way!
    Sincerely,
    your 963th follower

    ReplyDelete
  22. i just looked up the book on nytimes website, and its earned itself a glowing review! will buy it this weekend.

    also , u should check out east of eden (if u havent read it)! its amazing!:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like that cover! I always judge a book by it's cover, I'm going to check this one out.

    I'm reading Secret Daughter by Shilpi Somaya Gowda, it's a really great read so far!

    ReplyDelete
  24. My favorite is Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout.

    ReplyDelete
  25. love the new series. I think I will pick up the steve martin one, I've read a few of his plays and loved them. I'm reading The Creative Habit by Twyla Tharp, the beginning is fantastic and the rest kind of trails off which is why I haven't finished it yet ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm all about chick lit these days, and my current book is Bare Necessity by Carole Matthews (www.carolematthews.com). The big theme of it is money vs. morality, but also in the mix is work, family, friendship, and, of course, love. I really like it. Plus, short chapters = a quick read.

    ReplyDelete
  27. i need this book in my life! ordering it right now. thanks nina. xox

    ReplyDelete
  28. Definitly adding this to the list! I'm reading the Lord of the Rings trilogy because everyone in my husbands family has read it and I felt left out. My favorite book i've read recently however is Water for Elephants and I recommend it to ANYONE!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the 'on my bookshelf' idea! Love to learn what other people like to read!
    I started to read that Sarah Dunn book, but never finished. Have to check it out again.
    I don't have a current book I'm reading. Yes. I do. It's 'The Accidental Tourist' by Anne Tyler. Love it. Otherwise I wouldn't read it!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I am jumping on the bandwagon (5 years after I should be) and reading Eat Pray Love. I'm also reading a non-fiction book called Women, God and Food (extremely interesting!)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Reading 'I Was Told There'd Be Cake' by Sloane Crosley. Check out My Library Thing-you can set up your account and keep a list of your books, etc. Fun site for bookies! (No, not that kind of bookie!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. http://aliandsethinthecity.blogspot.com/2011/01/book-club.html

    just posted about my recent and new reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. yayyy, so excited for this series! I love to read : ) I read Everyone Worth Knowing over winter break - pure chick lit. It was excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I recently read The Glass Castle and loved it! It's not exactly a cheery story but very intriguing and made me very reflective on my own life. Can't wait to hear what you read next! <3

    ReplyDelete
  35. I checked that book out from the library, but never got around to reading it. I've also been a bookworm lately, and have read An Object of Beauty by Steve Martin and Water for Elephants. Now I'm reading Little Bee! I'm only on the second chapter, but it is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.