on the mat.

3410589972_aeb9d1c906_b
yoga journal recently launched a 21 day challenge, and i am participating. as a teacher, i try to practice yoga every day, but i am taking this opportunity to move beyond my usual postures and attend more studio classes. so far, i'm loving it!

tonight, i practiced with a fellow soni yoga teacher, and he reminded us that we are always exactly where we need to be, both in life and in our asanas (postures). whew. if only i could remember that when i'm having a bad day. :)

is anyone else participating in the challenge, or wants to join?


(photo credit: j-seven)

18 comments:

  1. That's a beautiful mantra to keep in one's head. Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What inspiring words. It really can be hard to remember that on the hard days, especially when others feel the need to share their opinions about your "place". This was a very timely post for me, personally, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'd love to join! I used to do Yoga in Australia (just the classes at the gym, I'm no pro!) but since I've come here I've gone off track and feel quite unfit. This may be just what I need.
    You're amazing for being a Yoga teacher! That's one of the things I'd like to be some day, when I get good enough. ♡

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for this - i've been struggling with recognizing that i'm exactly where i need to be right now, and it's always a nice reminder that yoga helps me to feel this way. i've been practicing every day too, and it absolutely does make a huge difference! what postures are you currently working on?

    ReplyDelete
  5. meg, headstand, which was the inspiration for this picture. :) it's an ongoing process... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. cool...look forward to reading about your journey.
    i'm doing eoin finn's 30-day blissology challenge.
    i love the above inspiration. it is hard to remember when we are having a bad day. good to have blog friends to help us remember everything will be ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm doing the challenge! And it's definitely a challenge for me, as I've never had a regular home practice. It feels so good to practice every day :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i love this mantra! thank you for reminding me of it's power and peacefulness! your blog is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up for this challenge and love the idea. It has gotten me motivated to make yoga a daily practice, however, I am so disappointed in the videos they are using for instruction! There is no music or even enthusiasm in the instructors voices. Yoga Journal has access to the best resources, yet they seem to have skimped on what I consider a very important motivating factor. Ambiance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would love to get into yoga...but am too busy with other sports at the moment... a quick question for you.. do you find it gets your heart racing enough to be a cardio workout, or do you need to do cardio as well?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nina, I start my 6 month yoga teacher training tomorrow! Any words of wisdom?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that thought. It's so easy to be consumed by the perpetual desire to be somewhere, someone, or something else. I actually just wrote about trying to live in the present. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't that funny, things can be so inspirational but when we are having a bad day it's hard to remember ;) I was wondering if you have any youtube or online yoga that you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
  14. "We are exactly where we need to be"... I love that! Thank you for reminding me of these very wise words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for those words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Nina,

    I recently stumbled upon your blog, it's lovely! I am a newly minted yoga teacher, I am doing the challenge, I love it! I love getting the new video each day. It really keeps you on track. Happy headstand to you !

    Cathy
    http://cie-change.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've had the hardest slog at work today but then remembered reading this post & reminded myself of your wise words! Thank you for sharing, it really helped me out.

    And I can't really complain, as my hard day was triggered by jet lag - I've just come back from India where I did yoga nearly every day for two weeks :) x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.