a green smoothie.

Spinach inside.
i'll admit it: i was initially very skeptical of green smoothies. how could they possibly taste good? friend after friend tried to reassure me that adding spinach to my daily smoothie would not affect the overall flavor, but i wasn't so sure. 

and then one day, i just did it. i added a few fresh spinach leaves to my otherwise ready-to-drink smoothie, and watched it swirl into a thick, green slush. oh crap, what have i done?

but before i knew it, i had slurped the whole thing down. the spinach flavor really does almost disappear when it's added in small amounts. and it's so healthy.

here is the basic recipe i used:

1 banana
5 or 6 fresh baby spinach leaves
2 handfuls of frozen mango chunks
1 spoonful of greek yogurt
soy milk (as needed)

so, what do you think? do you drink green smoothies? i'm a fan.

31 comments:

  1. I love the green tea frapuccinos at starbucks! they look just like this :)

    Lauren
    www.laurensthoughts.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm a fan of the green monster have one every morning for breakfast - www.greenmonstermovement.com xo kendall

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a huge fan of green smoothies. Try adding banana - it completely masks the spinach flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a huge fan of green smoothies. I usually do a couple of cups of spinach with banana, though this winter I have been loving 2 cups of kale with 1 cup of cranberries and an apple. SO good. Very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i drink them everyday! the blueberry green monster specifically! in fact i've written about them a lot on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been seeing these EVERYWHERE. I think I am destined to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm thinking it's a lot better than it looks :) and that is such a great photo! cool straw & dish towel :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. this sounds delicious! the green won't scare me as long as it tastes good :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That green is vibrant, I'd give it a taste :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i will definitely start... what a great way to get an extra serving of veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have never really made smoothies, but I really would like to try. This is the cutest picture ever, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My boss makes these all the time. And everyday when I'm at work she's always drinking one and I really want to try one of my own!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i've found that strawberries really disguise that spinach taste! LOVE green smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  14. thanks for this. I'm going to try mine minus banana and plus lactaid for health reasons. !!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I keep seeing these all over the internet and keep meaning to try... also skeptical but will give it a shot!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh i just had to write back after your sweet sweet comment on my blog - it made my day!

    i've been a follower of yours for a while but i never comment (a habit i will certainly change)! anyways, thanks for your sweet comment, you're endlessly inspiring to me! xo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love drink them daily and love them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Me too - big fan!!! Making mine pure green with green apple, celery, ginger, spirulina, spinach or kale and just water..... in a smoothie blender. It becomes a healthy, little meal, almost like a cold soup.....this is my afternoon snack.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You've convinced me. I'm gonna have to try one.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and I have them every morning as we drive to work - perfect way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've always been a little scared of green smoothies, but this sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm all about the green smoothies - I have one almost everyday. I add a lot more spinach, like one giant handful, and still can't taste it. I also just use water as a base, and with all of the fruit it's still delicious. I find that the two fruits that make it taste the best are bananas and oranges, and then I add whatever else I have in my fruit basket. x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Huge fans of green smoothies in my household. We keep them vegan and loaded with lots of greens. I find that most people add more and more greens as time goes by. The palate adjusts.

    ReplyDelete
  24. finally made one this morning after wanting to try it for years. thank you for the inspiration to do so!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Delicious! I love green smoothies. And just like green smoothies, your blog is very refreshing. Decided to give you a follow! I'm loving it :) Keep up the good work!

    Caryn

    p.s. please feel free to stop by my blog sometime!
    stylebones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. Only 5 or 6 baby spinach leaves made it that green?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I haven't tried it but I've heard over and over that I should give it a shot... The recipe you use sounds good!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. I drink the green machine from naked juice, does that count? but I do make fresh apple juice using the jack lalanne and add some vegetables.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been reading so much about green smoothies here in the blog world and I'm so jealous!! I REALLY need to get a juicer!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.