handmade bag.

i was so inspired by christine's holiday buckets, i decided that one of my new year's goals would be to sew a bag for my knitting needles and yarn.
My new knitting bag.
i fell in love with this fabric at ikea almost five years ago, but had previously never figured out what to do with it. so, i got to work, and i am so pleased with the way it turned out.

i followed this simple tutorial, (although i made it a little bigger) and then just added the handles and two buttons for decoration. (the buttons aren't easy to see in these photos, but they are at the base of each handle).
Handmade bag.
the only thing i would do differently next time is to use some interfacing. i didn't have any, so the bag flops a little bit. but i love it anyway!

p.s. thank you to a special family member who provided indispensable moral support during the making of this bag.

22 comments:

  1. Cute! I really wish I knew how to knit - although I'm too lazy too learn. oops. :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's adorable! Ugh, I really, really need to teach myself to knit this year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute, i wish i was better at sewing, my mom could use something like this for her crocheting materials

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh that is really pretty! I like the fabric you choose! If it flops a lil I'd say put some marbles in the end or you can put a styrofoam circle in it to put your needles in. It'll keep them up right & give form to the cute lil bag!

    Melanie's Randomness

    ReplyDelete
  5. your bag looks fantastic! i'm working on increasing my wool & yarn stock, once i have a few more balls i'll definitely need something to keep them in as well :) also, i can identify with needing family moral support while crafting... i had a breakdown over the holidays while knitting a baby blanket & my dad was the only thing keeping me from going off the deep end (even though he had no idea what to say or do) - family is wonderful :)
    xo meg

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know that Ikea sold fabric?!?

    Also . . . do you knitters know about ravelry.com?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! I have my knitting supplies in a basket but a bag like that would be cute! I also have Ikea fabric that I don't know what to do with. We've thought about reupholstering a chair...I've used it as a cover up for ugly wires and cords, etc. Maybe a bag is its destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, it turned out beautifully! i could never make one though, i'm soooo uncrafty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cute and absolutely perfect for knitting gear.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's darling nina! nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. so cute -- great job, nina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute. I had no idea Ikea had fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  13. love it! adorable. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bucket looks great! And isn't ikea fabric just the best? I have piles of it in my stash. Happy knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's really cute! I actually thought the handle was part of a flap lid. In the first photo it kind of looks like a lid and not just a handle which would be super cute as well.. like a little knapsack.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, this is so adorable! And little bags are so easy to make! You've inspired me to make one of my own :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. adorable! i definitely want to create one of these!

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh i love it! you did a great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. how cute - love it! i really need to learn some sewing skills. and get a showing machine. that would probably help.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay! And can't wait to see the knitting :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.