on teaching.

confession

this morning i taught yoga to four lovely ladies, and it was... delicious. they were warm and loving, and i felt calm, centered and knowledgeable. simply put, i found my groove and it worked.

but there are also days when i have so many doubts about myself as a teacher. i wonder if i'll ever "make it" (i know... what does that mean anyway?). i worry about whether i am using the correct language and providing enough breath cues. i worry about whether my students are content, enjoying themselves, and getting the most out of my class.

all of this being said, one of the things i love most about yoga is that what happens on the mat is often a reflection of what's happening in your life. for example, if you tend to push yourself too hard on your mat, you are probably pushing too hard in your career too.

as it turns out, the same is true in teaching yoga. i worry about my teaching skills, because i worry about where my career is going in general. go figure, eh?

but anyway, today, i'm going to celebrate. i'm going to let my successful morning seep into the rest of my day and my week. and i'm also going to try to remember that teaching yoga is a process of learning and growing just like anything else.

and even though it doesn't always feel like it... i'm probably doing just fine.

namaste.

(photo credit: keri)

19 comments:

  1. nina i'm sure you are a wonderful teacher! i would love to learn and practice yoga with you :) -jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This right here...your post clarifies the incredible teacher you are and will continue to be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm proud of you, and i think you're an inspiration for doing what you love and reaping the rewards ♥ Laura xoxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe the more yoga you teach, practice, and study, the more confident you will feel. you have a beautiful perspective: it's a process of learning and growing, and passing it on. way to follow your dreams, even when it feels bumpy. suerte xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Laura and Simply Mel... this is why you are going to be an inspiration to all of your students. You are already on an amazing path and we are all so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way you are thinking already shows that you are on the path of becoming a good teacher :-). Staying humble, admitting that you will never know it all and that as a teacher you also are a life-long student. Getting your yoga teacher certification isn't the "end" - it's the beginning of a path that will take you to amazing places.....
    ♥♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can remember teaching my first classes; I was so nervous, I can't imagine that I could possibly have been a calming influence for my students! That being said, I know that having you as a teacher is a true blessing for all of your students!

    ReplyDelete
  8. we really are our own worst critic. you are probably doing a wonderful, amazing job, nina! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that you said, "...and even though it doesn't always feel like it... i'm probably doing just fine."
    That is such a great sentence to have tacked in the back of your mind at all times...true 110% of the time :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't teach yoga, but I am a teacher and I wonder the same things: can I really do this, am I good teacher, etc. I think all teachers go through this at different points, no matter what we teach. A little reflection is always helpful, which your blog should be a great outlet for you. I also agree with holtkamp, I would love to learn yoga from you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm always wondering the same in my profession.. After years of worrying about my insecurities I've now started to embrace them.. I know I will never be 100% confidant in anything I've done.. but I also know this will make me never stay in one place.. I will always want to learn more and do better..

    But a pat on the back and enjoying life is always a good thing. I always think cake helps you celebrate! enjoy the whole learning curve. x x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just remember to be true to yourself as a teacher. Use your own voice. Don't try to teach in a way that isn't authentic to you. That is what I learned. Just be you and your classes will be a hit. Students can sense when something is forced. I'm very excited about your yoga journey!! And, I know that you will be hugely successful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Having been a teacher for nearly 30 years-yikes!-there are still days when I would wear a t-shirt with that graphic on it! Babs gave you wonderful advice.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You're right, it's so easy to worry about "doing it right" and forget that it's a learning process. I'm a first-year teacher struggling through the same thing almost every day--sometimes it's easy, and sometimes it's like slogging through molasses. But most of the time, the students don't even notice.

    Good luck! I'm sure you're doing wonderfully.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post Nina. You are not alone in your feelings—I am quite anxious about teaching myself so it is nice to hear the honesty of your experience. The fact that you care so much about your students is a clear sign of a good teacher, I would think. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! I feel the same about so many things in life. It's good to know we all have our moments of doubt! So glad to discover your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I said the other day "I'm not going to let not knowing what I'm doing stop me from doing what I'm doing" :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.