
hm. the past few days have been... interesting. :) as it turns out, life is full of surprises.
last night, in honor of my terrible-horrible-no-good-very-bad-mood, i threw myself a little pity party. i curled up on the couch, wrapped myself in a big fuzzy white blanket, and cracked open a beer. and then i sat there for a while and just wallowed. it was good times.
here's the thing: one of the greatest lessons i took away from my yoga teacher training was to embrace emotion. often in life, when feelings start to bubble up, whether it's sadness, frustration, anger, whatever; we push the emotions away because it's temporarily easier. (unfortunately the feelings just come back to haunt us at a later stage.)
so... for better or for worse, when i'm in a crappy mood, i embrace it. and i was. luckily, later in the evening, simon came home and made me laugh hysterically. (is there a funnier word than poopsmith?)
so, tell me, what do you do when you're in a grumpy mood?
xo.
p.s. i may have also eaten a lot of cheese. :)
(photo credit: bubustudio)
Haha...everyone once in a while, I'm one for wallowing and pouting as well. Because you're so right- if you don't let your moods happen when they present themselves, bottling them up just makes them come back later to bite you in the ass in a far bigger way.
ReplyDeleteGlad you're feeling better :)
Most of the time I make myself go running (or my husband makes me go). Of course, we all have our occasions on which wallowing and eating ice cream are absolutely necessary.
ReplyDeleteHope it turns around for you soon!
good for you! i'm also a wallower. i'm so glad that you have simon to make you laugh. does he have a brother? just kidding. :)
ReplyDeletesorry to hear you're having a blues-full day. it sucks. but, i think sitting in it and feeling it is better than stuffing it all down. the only way by is through. i love fuzzy blankets and squishy pillows and music to suit my mood when i'm blue.
ReplyDeletehope you feel better soon, sweet girl! xo
Whenever I am in a bad mood or sad, I find a dog to pet. Before I had my own dogs, I'd shamelessly walk to the dog park. Everyone thought I was a dog owner too, and I would just stand there loving on all the dogs that came wagging my way. I know, that's kind of creepy, being a dog lurker. But it works!
ReplyDeleteWhen I am feeling crappy I go for a nice bike ride, there's nothing else that beats that feeling of freedom and ease of just wandering around, discovering new neighbourhoods and feeling uplifted, with a clear mind, once again. x
ReplyDeletecheese always helps :) cuddling with my pup also helps. hope you're in better spirits today!
ReplyDeleteThe only thing I ever want to do when I'm in a grumpy mood is smoke a cigarette and as I've been given up for years and years now that is not an option (no WAY am I falling back on that gross habit) and you know what - just thinking about that cigarette usually gets me out of my grumpy mood, because I can't have one.
ReplyDeleteI realise that makes no sense....
Wow, you rock. When I'm in a grumpy mood, i generally sit around and wallow, cry, and blame the world for everything.
ReplyDeleteps: i am starting YTT in January. Any advice for what i should do to prepare???
In reply to your comment on my blog:
ReplyDeleteI'm not doing it at Kripalu (i wish). I'll be going to a local studio that will do every other weekend for 6 months. It's a great place with awesome instructors. I will also hopefully be starting grad school in January part time, so it should be...busy?;)
aww, sorry you were in a bad mood. i try to wallow in mine, but others around me tend to try too hard to make me feel better... so I usually hop in bed, pout and take a nap with a comfy blanket :)
ReplyDeleteI'm moody, but I'm also a represser. As in, I get into a bad mood, but I try to tell myself that I shouldn't be in a bad mood or that the reason I'm in a bad mood isn't valid, and -- surprise -- I never successfully shrug it off. But that's a good tip, to embrace whatever it is that you're feeling when it hits. I'm definitely going to try and practice that.
ReplyDeleteI eat chocolate. Lots of it. So much that I start to feel a little nauseous!
ReplyDeleteWhen I'm in a grumpy mood, I like to go for a walk or drive and listen to music, drink a warm cup of tea or coffee, snuggle up in a blanket, and watch a funny movie or TV show. Sometimes it's also nice to bake or color in a coloring book : )
ReplyDeleteI think eating a lot of cheese and drinking a beer are excellent ideas...I might have to snag those for myself next time!
When I'm feeling grumpy, first of all I want to be left alone. And much like you I embrace the feelings and when I have sort of admitted to myself that the feeling is there (not as a judgment, just an acknowledgment) I do either A: some meditation or B: my favorite yoga poses.
ReplyDeleteFeeling really, really grumpy - make hot chocolate and eat ice cream out of the container.....
You should have driven up to Maine, Nina. Then we could've thrown a rocking pity party for two. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteI hope you're feeling back to rights this weekend.
cheese makes everything better! you know - phone calls help, too :) I'm usually on my couch from 7pm - midnight buried under my laptop and pounds of notebooks... maybe I should figure out how to use skype, too!
ReplyDelete