meet my new friend, the delicata squash.

i'll be honest, i'm not a great cook. but when i saw this heirloom squash at whole foods the other day i was determined to make something yummy out of it.

sometimes the delicata squash is used only for fall decorations; but it actually has a nice flavor, a little bit like a sweet potato.
i followed this recipe (with an additional dash of cayenne pepper for an extra kick) and it turned out dee-licious.
so, tell me... what's your favorite winter squash? and do you have a favorite recipe?
xo.

i'll be honest, i'm not a great cook. but when i saw this heirloom squash at whole foods the other day i was determined to make something yummy out of it.

sometimes the delicata squash is used only for fall decorations; but it actually has a nice flavor, a little bit like a sweet potato.
i followed this recipe (with an additional dash of cayenne pepper for an extra kick) and it turned out dee-licious.
so, tell me... what's your favorite winter squash? and do you have a favorite recipe?
xo.
Yum, sounds good!
ReplyDeleteI love acorn squash, but I don't really have a recipe. I just cut it in half, put a little butter in each side, salt and pepper and bake! Sometimes I serve it with a spoonful of sugar...brown sugar that is.
I've had this squash twice in the last month and there's currently one sitting on my counter. I'm a fan.
ReplyDeleteYum! I absolutely love winter squash, every kind, and I've been craving soup nonstop lately. I also saw a recipe for acorn squash mac and cheese that sounds pretty amazing.
ReplyDeleteacorn squash is my standby friend - throw a little brown sugar, butter & whatever spices you're in the mood for into the cavity & roast him up, delicious! and so perfect for a cold day. i'm working on increasing my confidence to try some different ones...
ReplyDeletehey nina! i recently baked up some butternut squash with red wine vinegar and fresh thyme (b/c i didn't have the rosemary and balsamic vinegar called for in this recipe: http://networkedblogs.com/4VgRO) and loved it! especially over couscous with goat cheese and sliced almonds. so good!
ReplyDeleteOh, Nina! If only I'd read this before my trip to Whole Foods just now. I have so many squash soup recipes bookmarked, but I always just end up buying it pre-made at WF. This has inspired me to take the plunge and make my own!
ReplyDeleteLove the butternut and acorn squash and love to use both in this recipe.
ReplyDeletehttp://smittenkitchen.com/2006/10/the-leaf-peeps/
sounds delicious! my favorite kind of squash is butternut and i looove to make soup out of it. i also like to puree it into a sauce for pasta, especially paired with shrimp. mmm, i'm getting hungry now!
ReplyDeleteWe grew those last summer. Ahhh so good! I made them as 'mashed potatoes'-- way more squash than potatoes. And the kids ate them up, without a fight! Squash? No. These are just orange potatoes!
ReplyDeletei love all types of squash, basically. SO yummy! i hardly know anyone who likes squash, they all think i'm crazy. ;)
ReplyDeleteYum! That reminds me of the baked pumpkin my Mum makes. The best kind is the white pumpkin, not the orange one. It's creamy, not watery and sooo sweet. [drooling]
ReplyDeleteDelicata is delicious, but I also enjoy butternut and acorn squash...well I guess spaghetti squash too! Such a fun winter treat!
ReplyDeleteOooo I love squash with a lil brown sugar! Yum!! =)
ReplyDelete