a girl can dream.


the past couple of days i have been working in a very uninspired place: a hotel. but if i close my eyes and try hard enough, i can almost pretend i am sitting at a desk like this one and that the shelves above me are filled with my favorite books, all kinds of quirky memorabilia, and photographs of my loved ones.

(and in my dream, i am also listening to miles davis and a dog is curled up at my feet. sigh.)

now i'm curious... where do you usually work from? do you love it or hate it?


(photo credit: jessieroth)

31 comments:

  1. when my husband and I first got married, we spend 6 weeks in a hotel.....it was weird because the boredom inspired me to start my business! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nina! Your dream workspace sounds perfect- let's get you that dog, oh-so-soon though! You & Simon would have the best time with him or her!

    I love my workspace, but that's because I was fortunate to be able to design it myself. There are ampersands and the color green everywhere and my dog is always looking out the front window from his bed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I work from an office in my law firm.. the good thing is that I have my own office. The bad thing is that the furniture is huge, clunky and ugly. I've tried to spruce it up with prints and accessories, but honestly, this furniture saps the life out of everything! Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. katrina - that's so interesting! and wonderful!

    meredith - oh my goodness, dying to see that studio of yours. ;) and meet orvis!

    ReplyDelete
  5. carolyn - oh bummer... well, some day let's all get beautiful, tranquil offices, ok? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I work at a desk at a retail company. we have an open concept work space, which is cool but sometimes annoying when I'm on a deadline and people are feeling chatty (I'm a copywriter). I also hate how I have no windows anywhere around me so I couldn't tell you if it was sunny, rainy, snowing.... It's not ideal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually work from my office in my lab and at times from home. And once in a while, when I have long papers to write, I find a nice couch in Barnes and Noble and write there. I also love writing/working in this cute coffee shop near home, which has comfy chairs and couches, free internet and amazing coffee (I love their white chocolate mocha!!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I work from my very very messy small desk. Yes there is a lot of creative clutter but a wee bit too much. I long for a desk like the picture above where it's beautifully creative but not a mess. hehe =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. i hateee my job but its almost over and i am starting a new one next week! i cannnot wait!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work at a receptionist desk at a university..
    :( but theres plenty of downtime for blogging and knitting, so it's alright for now!

    but very soon I will have a craft room/ vocal studio all to myself! I cannot wait! too bad I will still have to spend 8 hours a day here...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tend to stare out the window, getting lost in the view, or lack of but, either way I the information comes in and manages to get out another way. Timing though would be the challenge.

    I have moved my art work table, and writing table, and I am not so sure it's working in my best interest just yet; so we'll see.

    Sometimes it feels like we're not doing enough but, it always works out well in the end. Day dreaming in necessary to creative productivity.

    I work at my own pace. No rush.
    Be well, stay sane.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I work from my desk that I share with my hubby! We converted a very long dining table into a desk - he gets one side, and I the other. Office is full of love! In fact, just posted photos of our place on my blog today if you wish to see where I daydream...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Three days a week, I work from my cube at my office. I've decorated with French prints and photos of loved ones, so it's not too blah.

    The other two days, I work from my bright and sunny apartment, where I move from desk to couch to breakfast bar whenever I like. And, if I'm not super busy, I can watch Ellen :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's funny because I tend to find hotels rather inspiring! Probably because I associate them with travel and vacations :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I work at a desk at my publishing company - I've moved offices in the building a few times and think this is my favorite so far. Cozy lighting, nice details - I don't mind it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm, what a perfect office space. i work from our couch (as i'm doing now), always with some nibbles and a hot beverage nearby. <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. As I am a teacher I spend 3 hours in classroom which I like very much. Other than these 3 hours I am working in my office at school building. It is the cutest building I have ever seen. We have got orange frames and yellow doors and on the corridor there are green straight lines as ornament. In my office, there is a cosy athmosphere because my office mates are also interested in NLP. There are some pictures, posters on the walls. Wow. My office rocks. :)
    Your dream office also looks so cosy.
    Splendor
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  18. I work from a desk in an office but the nice thing, is that my office is right on the edge of a river, near a fish quay so if i look out of the window I can see all the fishing boats coming into port...oh and I can see the sea just beyond the piers... :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I work from home from this little space: http://mumtoddlerbabe.blogspot.com/2009/12/my-revamped-little-workspace.html

    I love the pic above, love all that glorious shelving!

    ReplyDelete
  20. i work as a therapist and my entire job consists of doing home visits. so my "office" is my car, and other people's homes. i don't really mind it, but some days, i just want to be stationary and work in an office or from home!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Well, at my office I work in a small, small pistachio colored room that I share with another lady. It's nice to have someone else sitting beside you though so that you're not working away alone. And so you can show them cute things that you find on Etsy! :)

    At home, I have a large vintage wooden desk in our "dining room" that I have turned into my office. It is open to both the kitchen and living room, and I love it, because it's yellow and has two big windows!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Funny you should ask - we moved into a new home almost a year ago and have had a house guest for almost the same amount of time. I love my sister in law and am so glad to have had this time with her but it has limited the amount of personal space we each get in the house. My inspiring (or lack thereof) workspace is a toddlers papasan chair in a corner of the living room. Yep, thats right I do all of my writing in a chair the size of a foot stool. (No wonder I havent been posting consistently, eh?)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I work from my classroom at school that (sadly) has no windows, but i've managed to spruce it up with paint. The back wall that is made of cinder blocks is a deep purple and the other walls are a lovely shade of peacock blue. My students always compare the colors to a wildberry poptart, which i love because those are my favorite poptarts! (Though i can't find them anywhere lately...) I also have a print of a Kadinsky painting that hangs over my desk that i absolutely love.

    ReplyDelete
  24. i have an office in an ancient shack of a building on the university campus where i work. the building is freezing and i have a space heater to keep me cozy! when i started my office was overcrowded with boxes due to it being unoccupied for a few months... i had a lot of work to do but i turned it into a cute & homey area that suits my personality perfectly. i put country-cute tablecloths over the unsightly tables & filing cabinets, brought in some plants and pictures, filled the bookshelves with all the books i could find, and plastered the walls with gorgeous and colorful posters. it's much nicer to spend time in now!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am a 2nd grade teacher and I love the view from my desk :) I keep little bells and chimes on my desk and I also have pictures of all my loved ones. The view of my students hard at work is probably the one thing in the world that completely melts my heart <3

    ReplyDelete
  26. hei nina vennen,
    I´ll do this in english so your lovely blog readers will understand :-)
    It´s always nice to drop by your blog, but it was extra inspiring today as I just got the keys to my new studio (I´m an artist) yesterday! I´m going to start moving in in the next few days and I´m so excited to get my first studio since leaving the art academy. It was about time too as I think
    I´ve slowly started going crazy from not having a good place to work.
    I´m thinking of how to organize it and I love the idea of lots of shelves.
    I already have the dog to curl up by my feet and miles davis to listen to (can´t wait to set up my record player!) + a view of norwegian mountains. I think the essential thing in a workplace (whatever type of job you do) is a view. If you don´t have one - put up a picture or a poster. Not just pictures of loved ones, although that can be nice to put up too. A view or a picture of a view that you like is a brilliant form of inspiration. I feel very lucky to have real live mountains outside my window.
    håpe du har det bra vennen,
    klem,
    gunhild

    ReplyDelete
  27. I work in a peaceful office in an old house in Newlands, Cape Town. Next to me, a glass door opens to a courtyard full of trees, with a water feature that trickles. In the courtyard (which is quite large) we often see squirrels, localy cats and an owl, sleeping in one of the oaks. At the moment a pair of falcons which visit us each year have a nest high up in a tree and we can hear their newly hatched babies squeal for food.

    I love that we are close to great coffee shops, 2 good bookstores and a spa next door offers amazing massages by a blind lady, who is AWESOME
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I work in an office within an elementary school, at the back of the cafeteria, with cement walls, and no windows. Oh, and flourescent lights. Needless to say, I often close my eyes and imagine it a little differently, too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, well, I still go to school.. It sucks, to be honest. I mean, I don't have anything against all the schoolwork really, but most of the people in my class are idiots. Exept from my friends, and some of the boys..

    But yeah, I work in school I guess. The walls are horible, they're painted in some kind of wierd lightgreen colour.. And there's lots of bubblegums under the tables to.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Right now career wise I'm am playing musical desks and computers. :( So I am a little unhappy but have been told that as soon as one of our co-workers leaves for Thailand (for good) that I will be getting his office, and they have ordered my computer and accessories. So right now I just can't wait to have my own space to decorate :)

    At home... I share an office with the love at his parent's place (until we get our own condo - hopefully soon) and I don't feel comfortable poking holes in their walls, so I try and decorate my desk... but it still lacks some of my personality. :(

    Soon soon!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.