

ever since i stumbled on these coasters, i can't stop thinking about them. they are whimsical, sweet and simply perfect for my cup of tea or coffee.
and so it's official: i absolutely have to learn how to crochet. do any of you crochet and if so, how did you learn? any tips?
(photo credit: chizuru-bis)
i taught myself by getting a pattern and looking up directions of how to do each stich online and then replicating it. The coasters look pretty easy, so they would be easy to start.
ReplyDeletewow, that's impressive! cool, i'll have to try :)
ReplyDeleteI'm so with you — crocheting is on my 2010 to-do list. my great grandma was a master at crochet — she made the most beautiful blankets. these coasters are fantastc — and the photos are so pretty!
ReplyDeleteOooh I love these! I only know basic crocheting--my mom's friend taught me when we were teenagers. I'd love to learn intricate patterns like these though! Looking up patterns and steps online is a great idea.
ReplyDeleteOh too cute!!
ReplyDeleteNO idea how to crochet. i would love to make some crocheted scarves though, i think they would have the potential to be adorable!
ReplyDeleteEver since those chunky blankets came out at Anthropologie, I've wanted to become a knitter...not that I have the time for another hobby, but...
ReplyDeleteI learned to crochet in June and I am completely hooked on it! I used a lot of youtube videos to help learn and also used Attic24's tutorials, http://attic24.typepad.com/weblog/
ReplyDeletei actually was just thinking about learning to crochet or knit. these are ADORABLE! :) LOVE THEM!
ReplyDeletewow how relaxing to learn that skill
ReplyDeletethose old fashioned gals had it sussed !
I don't crochet...but I do knit! I hear crocheting is much faster and easier..so I bet you'll have no problem picking it up. My advice would be to join Ravelry stat..tons of helpful stuff on there! (just google Ravelry and you'll find it!)
ReplyDeleteI taught myself to crochet from a library book when I was 12 years old or so...but nowadays I use YouTube videos for particular stitches I need, plus I have a "Teach Yourself Visually Crocheting" book which is also pretty good.
ReplyDeleteBut I second sjhouser, www.ravelry.com is the way to go for patterns, support, and the like.
crocheting is so simple! my mom used to make doilies like that...i love the idea of using a colorful cotton yarn and make sweet coasters!
ReplyDeleteTo quote Katie, crocheting really IS so simple. Honestly, once you've got the basic gist, you'll be able to go off on your own without patterns. The wonderful thing about crocheting is that it's forgiving - you can make many mistakes in a single crocheted item and chances are it won't mess up terribly. Whereas with knitting, you must be precise. The easiest way to learn would be from someone you know who crochets; all you need her/him (because I learned from men!) to teach you is how to to a basic flat item -like a scarf- and something more 3D, like a hat. Once you've got those, you'll be able to look at books and understand how to achieve new stitches and shapes, promise!
ReplyDeletei just taught myself using youtube and some step-by-step pictures; to echo the comments above mime, it really is so simple! i'm working on a blanket for myself and an earwarmer headband for my best friend in london.
ReplyDeleteI taught myself as well...with help from a couple of youtube videos! It's really easy once you get the hang of it. I just need to learn how to make more things now..
ReplyDeleteohhh these remind me of my great-grandmother. :)
ReplyDeleteshe was a crochet/knitting queen and would make coasters (just like those ones!), christmas ornaments, blankets, hats, you name it. she was so good at it, she did it flawlessly. she tried to teach me once when i was pretty young... i never got the hang of it, i really just liked sitting next to her as she crocheted and listen to her many stories. as i pulled out her homemade ornaments this christmas i realized that i need to learn... in honor of her. :)
SOOOO prettay!! I'm really excited because I'm taking my first knitting class at the end of Feb. Next is maybe crochet??
ReplyDeleteI learned to crochet using a book and some help from my mom. Sometimes the photos in patterns or books are hard to understand, but if you see someone doing it, it makes it a lot easier. YouTube videos are good, as other people have mentioned. But I recommend finding a friend that crochets (or go to a yarn shop and they will probably be able to help you) and see them do a few stitches. Once you get the hang of it, it's really simple and fun. I crocheted the little owl on my blogger photo...it's so much fun to build different things one you get the hang of it.
ReplyDeletecrocheting is really enjoyable and as other ladies have metioned it is very forgiveable...it is much easier than knitting!
ReplyDeleteThey really are adorable!!!!
ReplyDeleteMy 'mormor' taught me how to crochet but I learned how to knit from a book+the internet. Try typing 'how to crochet' on youtube, there's a ton of great little videos there. It's my #1 source every time I have to learn a new stitch ;-)
these remind me of the pom pom coasters i blogged about over the holidays from anthro - they were on heavy sale then and aren't there anymore, but they'd also be great inspiration for your crocheting goals.
ReplyDeletethey're shown in this post:
http://honeyliving.blogspot.com/2009/12/honey-gift-filessecret-santa.html
How beautiful, and really perfect for the coming Spring
ReplyDeletethe best way to learn according to ria♥:
ReplyDeletegot to barnes&nobles.
swiftly make your way over to the "crafting" section.
(if needed, ask a worker where the knitting and crochet books are located)
pick one that teaches you the beginning stiches(i.e. chain,single,double...)
proceed to take your ball of yarn and larger crochet hook out of your purse..
and begin(o:
it's really quite easy...you should pick it up quickly!
♥
after this...crochet to your heart's content.
Those are so pretty! My grandma knows how to crochet I think.
ReplyDeleteMy grandma taught me when I was 7 or 8, but I was such a tomboy that I never really apprecaited it until a few years ago, but now I live too far away for her to teach me how to do anything except make scarves. She has coasters like this all over her house though, my great-grandmother did also.
ReplyDeleteHello nina!!
ReplyDeleteI had recently discovered your blog and i loved it since i saw your heading! jaa.. Your posts are really lovely!
I would be very happy if you visits my recently blog jaa..! allthingsabout-me.blogspot.com
Kisses,
Natalia, from Argentina.