
ladies, this is my all-time favorite pose. in the world. ever.
it's called viparita karani or "legs up the wall pose." it helps me in ways i can't even describe. something about it is just incredibly relaxing and healing (and fun!)
to begin, grab a bolster, or fold a blanket (or two) lengthwise and place it a few inches from a wall. then, as gracefully as you can, (ha!) scoot your bum towards the wall, eventually letting your legs rest comfortably. one trick for getting into the posture is sitting next to a wall with the side of your body and your knees bent into the chest. bring your lower back onto the floor while sweeping the legs up onto the wall.
if you're really in the mood, you can drape a scarf or scented eye pillow over your eyes... and the swooning can commence. stay there for as long as you like. to come out, bring your knees to your chest and roll to your side.
if it feels better, feel free to remove the blankets or bolster. the pose will still work its magic.
(photo credit: gaiam)
Lovely, I must try!
ReplyDeleteoooh a new one for me, I've got very tight hamstrings so I'm not sure how I will get on with this pose. Can't wait to get home and give it a try.
ReplyDeleteWe did this in yoga a couple weeks ago... I didn't want to come out of this pose! Last week, I did a headstand for the first time. This was the only time I've tried as an adult and the third attempt was a success! I did it all by myself AND I was the only one in class to get it done. I know yoga isn't a competition with others but sometimes I compete with myself.
ReplyDeleteSo glad to meet another yogi...
Cheers
I do this pose quite often to relax - it's wonderful!
ReplyDeleteI must try this! Thank you.
ReplyDeleteOh! This was always my favorite pose at the end of my yoga classes. I also would bring the soles of my feet together and sit in an up the wall kind of butterfly pose. I loved it sooo much! Thank you for reminding me. :)
ReplyDeletemy best friend is a yoga teacher who lives in NY. when i was visiting her last Christmas, she taught me this pose after a marathon day of shopping in manhattan. It's magic! it is just crazy how good it feels - like all the blood is circulating back into your body from the legs & feet.
ReplyDeleteand when i went in for my 12-week ultrasound a few months ago, the baby was on her/his back with it's legs straight up in the air. The ultrasound tech laughed and said she's never seen that before. I just smiled and said "legs up the wall....."
i love this pose too... i did it all the time when i was in europe and we were walking 6-8 hours a day (usually in flip flops) so my legs were aching by the end of the day. this helped so much!
ReplyDeleteThis looks amazing I'm going to try!
ReplyDeleteThis is my favorite too! In fact, I think it's time for legs up the wall right now!
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely going to have to try this!
ReplyDeleteoh i love this one too! thanks for passing yoga on :)
ReplyDeletemy favorite pose at the end of my yoga classes.
ReplyDeleteHow to make a website
Agreed! There is no more delightful way to both recharge and restore. At least yoga-wise. :-)
ReplyDeleteI wish I could pop up into this pose during the workday. A good ol' ragdoll is a decent runner-up--and doesn't look *quite* as silly in the workplace.
When do you begin your teacher training journey?