yoga for anxiety, part one.

as simon knows, sometimes i can be a bit of a worry wart. over the years yoga has taught me a variety of ways to work through my anxiety, and so today i want to share the first of my top three favorite calming and restorative poses.

please remember that i'm not a qualified teacher yet, so this is just my personal experience. :)

the reason this pose works so well for me, is that it is comfortable
and comforting. if you try it at home, i recommend turning the lights off and lighting a candle. it's not necessary, but quite lovely...


child's pose (balasana):
start by kneeling on all fours, separating your knees about as wide as your hips, and then sink your hips back towards your heels. allow your torso to rest on your thighs and your forehead to touch the floor. you can either stretch out your arms in front of you, palms down, or you can lay them alongside your body, palms up. (i prefer the latter.) relax your shoulders and enjoy. :)

if this doesn't feel good on your knees, you can roll up a blanket and place it behind the knees.

please let me know if you try this... i'd love to hear about it and help you with any questions.
trust me, it feels oh-so-good. and stay tuned for part two and part three.



(photo credit: gaiam)

13 comments:

  1. i love child's pose. it's so great to stretch a tight back or take a break from a yoga session!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I'm on-again-off-again about yoga, I find myself doing child's pose all the time. Love this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favourite poses for when I just want to shut off. Can't wait to hear about the other two poses - always looking for inspiration.
    Keep the yoga tips coming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've always loved child's pose, and i find when i'm going through a "really into yoga" stage i will pull it out at home, and dante always gets a little confused. but it's worth it, it brings me right into the mindset i have when i'm practicing yoga in class, and that's always a good mindset :)
    xo meg

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do that pose also...very relaxing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of my favorite poses as well. Yoga has calmed me for several years now and helped me through a back surgery. I also love reclining tree pose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. definitely worth trying. Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to this series. Child's pose helps me when I'm stressed out, too. I think yoga is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never tried yoga, I probably should, I'm a huge ball of stress most days

    ReplyDelete
  10. this really helped me...thank you so very much! have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. One thing I have never understood about this pose... I have very poor flexibility and when I try to bend forward with my knees under me like that, either my hips raise up substantially, or I can't bring my head to the ground. While I work on it, is it more important to focus on keeping the hips down, or the head? I end up so worried about my form when I'm in this pose that I can't relax at all! Haaaaaalp!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always do the child's pose in my yoga and pilates sessions, I love it! I've recently re-started doing yoga, so I think I'm going to love these posts of yours :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.