the good 'ol days.



i'm not gonna lie... some days i miss old phones. and how we used to sit still and really listen to the person on the other line.



and some days i miss looking in real encyclopedias. my mother used to love grabbing a world book to answer random questions.

and finally, some days i miss the sound of my grandfather's typewriter. maybe i've just been watching too much mad men!

what do you miss?

22 comments:

  1. this is a lovely post. what's nice about the things you miss is that you could actually bring them back into your life if you wanted to. i wonder if they'd be the way you remember or if they were of a passed moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss the days of snail mail, and people keeping in touch in more personal ways than Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To this day, I still love to look in my mailbox in anticipation of a wonderful letter from a friend or family...(it doesn't happen often enough)but the exhilaration is still..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I miss Saved by the Bell. Does that count? :)

    (P.S.-That typewriter is awesome.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss all of those, Nina, and once I get my own house I plan on using them religiously! (and not their fancy, technologically more advanced counterparts)

    I agree with Cathi and Tiffany up there, I miss handwritten letters. I also miss records, having the album artwork make an impact and having to flip the record. This is why I write letters and collect records, but it's less special when I'm the only one doing so.

    And I miss drive-in theatres, mostly because I never had a single opportunity to ever go to one and now they're almost extinct!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oddly, i miss airport Skycaps (or "Porters") and department store perfume ladies.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I miss the sound of the rotary phone when you dialed. zip-whirrrrr zip-whirrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo, love this list. I miss big ol' phones that hang on the kitchen wall :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awe i hear that...... i miss calling up pay phones in my town where we would all hang out and someone would answer it, no one who they were, and tell them who you were looking for and then they would go literally find them in the park!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And im totally with Amanda.... that was like signature kitchen phone haha

    ReplyDelete
  11. I miss opening my mailbox and finding something besides bills and magazines.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How lovely!

    I just wrote an article about letters the other day :)
    I agree with Naturally Jules on the rotary phones... loved the one that my aunt had! I miss old cartoons like Bugs Bunny, X-men, Sailor Moon (they are not too old either), I miss people walking without a cell phone all the time! I miss letters as well, I miss Rollerblading--> I feel it's not as popular as it used to be. And one of the most important things... I miss GOOD music, like Queen, Beatles, Elvis, Beach Boys, Elton John, etc. I can still listen to them, but I wish I could have lived in those years to attend those concerts :)

    Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i definitely miss REAL telephones.
    i miss hand drawn animation.
    i miss little girls that dress like little girls and not teenage pop stars.
    and i miss ladies who wore nylons and the sound of my mother's heels down the stairs as she left for work each morning.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I forgot to mention Disney movies that are not 3d... I'm happy about The Princess & The Frog :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. oooo great post! I am feeling so nostalgic reading about all of these great memories and warm fuzzy feelings!

    I miss good, old-fashioned, home cooked meals like Grandma used to make! I get so tired of all the microwave food! Bring back Chicken & Dumplings, and the roast that would have to bake all day! Homemade biscuits and canned preserves!

    I miss that summertime tan I used to get when I was a child from playing outside with my friends all day. Summer days riding bikes, drinking lemonade out of mason jars, and playing tag in the backyard.

    I love this post! xoxox!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Nina. We are kindred spirits. When I first saw those electronic book Kindle thingies I thought the world was ending.

    ReplyDelete
  17. love this post!! I miss all those things. especially the old phones with the rotating dials- when phones were a big deal. I also miss the time when relaxing meant curling up with a book, rather than in front of the TV/computer. Though, I am trying to do the former again, instead of the latter.
    I miss writing with a fountain pen too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Also miss snail mail. (I can't seem to stop listing stuff..lol)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I must say that I miss the encyclopedias too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love this post!
    My office phone is a 60's rotary in blue - makes me very happy when it rings.
    Oh, and Mad Men is fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh, me too!! I used to make little cartoon doodles while talking on the phone.
    And then I second Celia; kids that actually LOOK and ACT like kids.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your blog! If the phone just have buttons I don't feel sorry about people having to talk the old fashioned way attached to the wall :-) I bought an old real telephone and we use it as our only home telephone!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.