
the other day a lovely reader emailed to ask me why i had chosen kripalu yoga for my teacher training. today i'd like to share some of my thoughts on this, as well as what yoga means to me in general.
i hope you all enjoy this, and please feel free to ask me more questions! as a future teacher, this is a wonderful opportunity for me to practice articulating these concepts.
kripalu yoga is a gentle hatha practice that focuses on how to improve your daily life by connecting with your body. it emphasizes meditation, compassion, non-judgment, finding life fulfillment, and spiritual and physical health.
one of my favorite aspects of kripalu yoga is that is considered "yoga for everyone." it is a welcoming and rich experience for practitioners of all ages, sizes, and ability levels. it is also a great practice for people with disabilities and chronic illnesses. it is my dream to eventually teach yoga to senior citizens, cancer patients and victims of abuse.
kripalu's practice is based on this idea that we all have an "inner knowing" and "inner truth," and that by practicing postures (asanas) we can tap into our truest, wisest selves.
the first time i arrived at the kripalu center in the berkshires, i had one of those "these are my people!" moments. i instantly felt at home. the individuals around me were of all ages and backgrounds but we were all seeking the same things: self-love, non-judgment, and wonderful, fulfilled happy lives.
as someone who has suffered from anxiety, as well as chronic "i don't know what to do with my life"- syndrome, this type of yoga has helped me in a very real and practical way.
and finally, if yoga sounds like something you're curious about, but you're still a little apprehensive, this is a great practice to try. some day, i'd love to be your teacher and make you feel comfortable and excited!
here is more information about the kripalu center, and here is a link to a kripalu dvd. please feel free to ask me questions, i'd love to try my best to answer them.
gracias chica :)
ReplyDeletecongratulations on your acceptance to the program--i did my first teacher training there and it has so strongly influenced my approach today in a very special, integrated way.
ReplyDeleteYay for the Kripalu Center! I go to a yoga studio in Western Massachusetts and they often have group trips to Kripalu . . . perhaps one of these days I'll have to participate . . .
ReplyDeleteThanks for the inspiration!
It is so wonderful to hear more about what your yoga practice means to you. You are going to touch so many lives and you have already brought a smile to my face today. Thank you!!
ReplyDelete"as someone who has suffered from anxiety, as well as chronic "i don't know what to do with my life"- syndrome, this type of yoga has helped me in a very real and practical way."
ReplyDeleteThen I think that's the yoga for me :)
Have a lovely day, Nina!
Hey, cool! I've recently started hatha yoga, I had my second session last night. I enjoyed it because I came away with a sense of calmness, and felt much happier than when I came in.
ReplyDeleteNice post, I think it's great to read about why other people enjoy yoga.
Nina, you're making me miss my yoga practice! I haven't been to a class since June and reading your post made me remember why I love it. I think I'll get into a class this week! Lots of luck with the teacher training, I'm sure you'll be amazing!
ReplyDeleteNina, this might quite possibly be one of my favorite posts you have ever written! You are going to be an incredible yoga teacher because you truly feel it and live it from your core, your heart. I remember when I was training to be an anusura teacher, and it is such a deep and moving journey. Yoga does transform your life and open your mind, soul, and body up to so many delightful places. It is a peaceful and healing journey that I yearn to take daily.
ReplyDeleteI'm beyond excited for you and cannot wait to take one of your classes!
~Melissa
that sounds amazing! i love yoga..
ReplyDelete<3
good for you!! you'll never be the same again, like a little butterfly shedding it's cocoon, embrace the change that's ahead Nina XO
ReplyDeleteI have to agree with Simply Mel...I just love this post. I came across and have been reading your blog since springtime, and I found it after looking to find an interesting 'yoga blog' to read. Your other posts about everyday life and home decor and cool videos and beautiful photos all keep me coming back daily.
ReplyDeleteAfter this post, I crave more! I'd love to know more about your personal yoga insights & practice & how it changed you...
i love this, going to find out if this type of yoga is available in our area..if not, its the dvd!
ReplyDeletehi,
ReplyDeletenew reader. i did my teacher training at kripalu, and because of it... well, everything changed. i also did seva at kripalu and lived there (also *highly* recommended).
i started a blog recently, after talking with some kripalu prof. training folks, about yoga sequencing. every day, i post a new sequence for folks to use for their personal or studio practice. i would be super-honored if you would consider guest blogging.
kripalu... yes. yes. yes.
jai,
emma
www.thejoyofyoga.blogspot.com
i have been to kripalu once and it was such a beautiful place- well, the whole berkshires really is. i'd love to stay for a retreat one day.
ReplyDelete