
last night, simon and i made a big bowl of popcorn, dimmed the lights and curled up on the couch together to watch a movie.
the only problem was... the movie. (rockets, grenades, oh my.)
for two people who love watching movies, we always struggle to find one that we're both excited to watch. i tend to like smart, funny or suspenseful films. simon, on the other hand, describes his ideal movie as "one that has dragons in it." :)
previous favorites we've agreed on include the ocean's movies, inception and the departed.
do you have any recommendations for us? thank you!
(photo credit: seven spoons)
the only problem was... the movie. (rockets, grenades, oh my.)
for two people who love watching movies, we always struggle to find one that we're both excited to watch. i tend to like smart, funny or suspenseful films. simon, on the other hand, describes his ideal movie as "one that has dragons in it." :)
previous favorites we've agreed on include the ocean's movies, inception and the departed.
do you have any recommendations for us? thank you!
(photo credit: seven spoons)
We just watched The Tourist this week and both loved it!
ReplyDeletethanks meredith!
ReplyDeletewe watching Fair Game last night. it's based on a true story, it was really well done. it has sean penn & naomi watts. it's probably a little more your taste than simon's (there are no dragons)... definitely recommend :)
ReplyDeleteUgh, my sympathies - I like films which are either dreamy or witty; my boyfriend likes "anything with dragons, vampires or werewolves". We eventually decided to start taking it in turns to choose (and so far neither of us has hated either of the choices).
ReplyDeletehmmm, to match both of your interests, how about 'how to train your dragon'? ;) so cute.
ReplyDeleteMy boyfriend and I just watched 'Red' and loved it! I think it's got enough action for Simon and enough funny/suspenseful moments for you.
ReplyDelete'City Island' is another one we just saw...and it's great!
the fighter. my husband and i both loved it. its gotten a lot of hype, but its very well deserved. and incidentally our preferences mimic yours very closely.
ReplyDeleteI agree with Sarah, The Fighter is awesome though rough. You might both like The Town, with Ben Affleck who was surprisingly good in it. Also, maybe 127 hours, it is fascinating, no dragons in any of these though! Good luck to you! Incidentally, you have a lovely blog!
ReplyDeleteCathy
http://cie-change.com
If you want a little less blockbuster, there's some great Aussie and NZ films out there. Try; Boy, Rain, The Black Balloon, Candy or Wasted on the Young. Hope this helps. xo
ReplyDeleteclaireplush.blogspot.com
I like your choices above, Inception is definitely one of my favourite movies ever! I just watched The Next 3 Days (with Russel Crowe & Elizabeth Banks) it wasn't one I want to see in theaters but it definitely was a good one to watch while cuddled on the couch. I vote for The Fighter and The Town too! I <3 movies! Haha! I know this might not interest Simon but are you looking forward to seeing Water for Elephants? It's coming out later this year, definitely one to add to the theater list!
ReplyDeleteI second 'The Fighter' recommendation. If you want a good movie, that also happens to include dragons, I highly recommend 'How to Train your Dragon'. Yes it's for kids, but its so cute and so good.
ReplyDeleteHave you seen the films based on the Millennium trilogy by Stieg Larsson? I tend to like quirky French and Spanish romantic comedies; my husband's taste is more for any Jason Bourne movie. We both liked the Millennium films because they are smart, suspenseful, and action-packed.
ReplyDeleteone of our favorite movies to watch together is "snatch"...i know it's not very new but for some reason we are always drawn to it! maybe it's the pikey accents, maybe it's the fight scenes where brad pitt has his shirt off...
ReplyDeletewe both also loved sherlock holmes. if you really want to get him to watch a rom-com, we went to see "just go with it" and both LOVED it...laugh out loud and a great movie over all.
the fighter and the town- bonus: town is filmed in boston.
ReplyDeletesaw them both recently and really liked em.
Shutter Island was one that my husband and I both enjoyed. We mostly watch documentaries on Netflix but when it comes to movies, he enjoys anything pertaining to history and I enjoy foreign. In this case, A Very Long Engagement is another top pick.
ReplyDeleteOk, so the topics of movies came up today (again!) and it reminded me to add "The Other Guys" to this list. Ok, so it's absolutely ridiculous but it's hilarious!!! And there is plenty of action for Simon too! Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteHi Nina, I strongly recommend you to watch Shutter Island. My fiance and I watched this on DVD after Inception in cinema. We both agreed this is really another good stuff. Hope you like it! ;)
ReplyDeleteIf you liked Inception, I think you should try Shutter Island...definitely suspenseful!
ReplyDeleteJust watched The Town last night- if you liked The Departed and the Ocean's movie (and who doesn't?!), then you'll definitely like that! Also, the Thomas Crowne Affair is an older one but one thats suspenseful, sexy, and fun with some action. Hope you try them!
ReplyDeleteI think Romancing the Stone is great. It has romance, action, and semi nudity. Three things men and women can enjoy ;)
ReplyDelete