

i learned how to crack my first egg while helping my mother bake chocolate chip cookies.
at least, this is how i remember it. maybe it was the first time i didn't drop a piece of shell into the dough. either way, it was a cause for celebration, and the celebration involved eating lots of cookies.
i've been baking lots of new-to-me things in our house over the past few months, but yesterday's gloomy weather called for an old favorite.
preheat oven to 350. mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside. using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. add eggs. stir in vanilla. reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. fold in chocolate chips. drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. bake for 10-12 minutes.
at least, this is how i remember it. maybe it was the first time i didn't drop a piece of shell into the dough. either way, it was a cause for celebration, and the celebration involved eating lots of cookies.
i've been baking lots of new-to-me things in our house over the past few months, but yesterday's gloomy weather called for an old favorite.
3 2/3 cups minus 2 tablespoons flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt
2 1/2 sticks (1 1/4 cups) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 pounds chocolate chips (i used a mix of milk and semi-sweet)
preheat oven to 350. mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt into a bowl and set aside. using a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy – about 5 minutes. add eggs. stir in vanilla. reduce to low speed and add dry ingredients slowly, mixing until just combined. fold in chocolate chips. drop spoonfuls of dough onto baking sheet. bake for 10-12 minutes.
p.s. my next trick will be learning how to crack an egg with one hand.
p.p.s. i got my lovely little cake stand here.
p.p.s. i got my lovely little cake stand here.

Those look incredible. I might have to do some cookie baking this weekend.
ReplyDeleteOh chocolate chip cookies are just the best! Simple and delicious. My mother always makes them at Christmas. She had alwyas made batches of different kinds of Christmas cookies for the holidays and then came to realize that she didn't have to do all that work. Everyone loves this easy, old favorite!
ReplyDeleteI've been cooking and baking lots of new-to-me things too, but it's always comforting to return to a familiar favorite! These look delicious and may inspire some baking around my house this weekend...
ReplyDeleteI learned how to crack an egg with one hand while watching Sabrina - the old one with Audrey Hepburn. :) It's educational and entertaining (and on Netflix streaming)!
ReplyDeleteooooh love seeing the cake stand put to good use! your cookies look phenomenal! xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteMmmmm these look really good. I might have to try your recipe out this weekend!
ReplyDeleteOh yum! You don't know how good these look right now for breakfast! :)
ReplyDeletep.s. So you figured out that font! The new header looks great!
ReplyDeleteThese look lovely! Thanks so much for sharing the recipe! x
ReplyDeleteThese look like old favourites! mmmm
ReplyDeletep.s. LOVE the new font!
ReplyDeleteLovely cake stand, and yummy cookies :) I made some chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips this week - delicious.
ReplyDeleteyum. it's so fun to be adventurous and try new recipes (or come up with your own!), but it's so comforting to return to those classics. :)
ReplyDeleteps. love the new look. cute as ever. xo
yummy! i actually add toffee bits to my chocolate chip cookies to incorporate a little bit of salty sweet crunch :)
ReplyDeletenothing beats a chocolate chip cookie! it's my favorite go-to comfort snack. and a tall, cold glass of milk. mmmmmm...
ReplyDeleteOh, those look so delicious. I've had such a sweet tooth lately, this is just the post I needed!
ReplyDeletex Michelle
http://www.thefeatherden.net
A lovely little cakestand, lovely chocolate chip cookies, lovely blog redesign. Lots of loveliness today.
ReplyDeleteYum. Just yum. And a yummy plate too! <3
ReplyDeletecracking eggs is too fun, right? in the last month or so I've started cracking them on flat surfaces instead of on the edges of bowls... the crack always seems a little cleaner.
ReplyDeleteThese look delicious! Last night I had the baking itch, and I ended up making dark chocolate and cranberry cookies from Apples for Jam. So yummy! But next take I feel like cookies I'll definitely give your recipe a go!
ReplyDeleteMmm...those cookies look so good. I want some! :D
ReplyDelete~Kendall
what a sweet story :) pun intended.
ReplyDeleteooo this is too tempting so early in the morning! :D
ReplyDeletesound delicious!
ReplyDeletelove your photos!
mmmm... nothin like an old standby!
ReplyDeleteHah I was told that I just went ahead and cracked my own egg :D obviously it was messy at first. And oh! These pictures made me so hungry! Now I want cookies. Sigh...
ReplyDeleteThanks for sharing the recipe. It is one I will be sure to try. A perfect fit for my chilly autumn evenings.
ReplyDeleteThose cookies look delicious & I knew right away that that was one of Olivia's cake stands! Beautiful :o)
ReplyDelete