big, little things.

5053696471_b1225c5b50 (1)
after a yoga class this morning, i confessed to a fellow teacher that i still get nervous before teaching sometimes. i finish each and every class and think to myself: "wow, i pulled it off again! phew."

he reassured me that if i love it, (which i do) i have to just accept my nerves and show up anyway.

so i've been thinking... how much of our lives is just about showing up and doing our best?

all of it, actually. right?

"we show up, burn brightly, live passionately, hold nothing back, and when the moment is over, when our work is done, we step back and let go." - rolf gates

(photo credit: xanthe berkeley)

26 comments:

  1. I still get nervous about half of the things I do in my life - like turning in papers event hough I know I did well, and talking in class even though I know the Prof and the class want to hear my opinion.
    Like the other instructor said, and you said in this post - we're all always going to be nervous, you just have to keep doing it and enjoying it and that's what counts!
    If it helps any, I'm sure you're a wonderful instructor!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it's sometimes just the "unknowns" that make me feel this way. In your case, every class is filled with unknowns: things can go a multitude of ways.

    Most of my life is just holding my breath while I get through the stress of dealing with unknowns, so that I can get to the other side (where the really awesome stuff is at).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I put SO much pressure on myself from big things at work to little things like hosting my in-laws for dinner (they are SO not picky or pretentious or ANYTHING). It's so silly and I try to remember that life is bigger than all those things. It's just about love and happiness. So I just show up and do my best. Cause that's all I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this quote! I am a writer and still get nervous when I have to interview people for articles.

    But I learnt a big lesson last time around... It turns out the people I was interviewing were just as nervous to meet me. That was a big eye opener and made me realise that people, no matter who they are, are just people. They have fears, nerves and are scared of failing too.

    I bet there's people in your classes who are nervous they aren't going to perform as well as everyone else, or maybe there's a beginner who is freaking out inside because they have no idea how they're going to pull off the poses.

    Even though it's easy to say and harder to do, I think we need to embrace those butterflies and red faces, because after all it means that we care... And to care about your job and how you're affecting the lives of others can only be a beautiful thing, right? x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that rolf gates quote... so what I needed to hear today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely. Once you show up it's a done deal. I wonder why I get so nervous or wishy washy right before something and then once I'm there, doing it... It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was such a perfect thing for me to read this morning as I've just started practice teaching (yoga) this week. And I am terrified. Even in front of people I know, I'm still so very nervous. I think it's because I really want to be a good yoga teacher, and I'm worried that I won't be. Anyway, I think you're right. It's like they taught us on our first day, "It's not about the teacher. We're there to serve." xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love that quote. a nice reminder to show up, to be there, for even the most perfunctory moments, and make room for the special ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep I'd say most to all of it! Yoga teachers can give such a sense of peace. Mine does things a little differently in class as he chats about his day sometimes, but always says that yoga is about being kind and kind to yourself. He knows everyone in class by name which I think is really nice. Enjoy teaching!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Woah Nina, this is so good! I've been struggling with the fear of standing in front to teach during my training now. Thanks for being so honest and sharing the quote. One fine day, we will overcome this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I completely understand the feeling of being nervous/scared about things! But isn't it the best feeling when you push through it and accomplish whatever it is!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a very inspiring. I love the opening show up, burn brightly. Just what I need to hear today!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is exactly what i needed to hear this evening. every single day (in fact almost every single moment) at work i am nervous. not in a disabling way, but in a way that keeps me on my toes. . i am a surgery resident and let me tell you, using sharp instruments and taking out organs from other human beings is nerve-wracking.

    i guess i must have long ago accepted my nerves, otherwise i wouldn't still be doing my job. but i still love this post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just heard a Woody Allen quotation on the radio yesterday - "Eighty percent of success is showing up" - and I was meditating on how true that is.

    I had nerves of an academic sort today, but showed up, gave my presentation, and was so happy I did. It's hard though, isn't it? It's so easy to stay home and just be comfortable and safe. Showing up is almost always about challenging ourselves, and that's the hard part to overcome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love love love this, and it's so true. the hardest and most nerve racking things I have done...have also inevitable been my favorite and most proud moments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The next time you feel flustered before a class, just imagine me there in your class. That's what I've been doing the last few weeks! I took up yoga from after all the inspiration I found here & while I am by the largest & most uncoordinated lady in the class I just smile & picture you up there teaching me and I instantly feel more calm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. beautiful and so true. love your honesty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. oh my gosh. i've been teaching for ten years now {gosh it flies when you're doing what you love}. and i'm still scared before each session. doesn't matter if it's on the mat or on the bike, whether i've been on t.v., or if i have a room full of regulars....i'm only as good as my next class.
    it keeps me fresh, it keeps me young, and it keeps my passion alive for the teaching privilege.
    xo,
    katie

    ReplyDelete
  19. this was just what i needed to read today. sometimes i get so flustered i choose not to even show up to things, metaphorically and literally. it's always a good reminder that the most successful people are the ones who show up. thank you for this :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Completely agree. Just trying things is living life. Succeeding is like the icing on the cake. :) hehe

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the second post I've read today about showing up! I can relate to how you feel - every time before I do a photo session, I get nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for this post, Nina. I've actually been having similar thoughts lately. I think I have spent a good portion of my life not doing things or quitting things because I have been afraid of failure. Lately, I've started changing my way of thinking. I can either never do anything because of fear of failure or I can LIVE. Even if I fail or make mistakes, I will learn and grow and be a more blessed person - and hopefully be a blessing to others. This can't happen if I don't even try.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your post...thank you for sharing the quote from Rolf Gates...perfect!
    http://wwwcatherinerobinsoncashmere.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.