organic wine tasting.

Organic wines.
as you know, i love wine. (simon and i went wine-tasting on our honeymoon and we also typically drink a glass or so every day... for the health benefits of course.)

so, i recently collaborated on a delicious new project... an organic wine tasting with fellow boston blogger, sara from more than merlot.

sara is a certified sommelier, amazing foodie, and an a+ friend. together with our husbands we taste-tested two organic wines* and one sustainable one. all three are less than $12 and easy to find in your local wine shop. 


Bonterra.             

a blend of merlot, syrah, cabernet sauvignon and zinfandel 

sara says: good wine, but after seeing bonterra all over the place i was expecting more. granted, this is a table wine and not one of their pure varietal wines, so you should not expect it to be super well defined. of all three this is probably the one i would be least likely to buy again. 


nina says: i liked it, although i agree with sara. this was my least favorite of the evening. 

Frey.

a blend of carignane, zinfandel and syrah  

sara says:
 this wine was great!  i would buy this wine again, it is soft and easy to drink.  i would most likely drink it on its own, because with food i felt it got a little washed out. lovely wine with bright, ripe fruits and a touch of floral/herbal notes.


nina says
: yummy! i loved this one. it tasted like a spring day. my favorite.
Parducci.

a blend of zinfandel, syrah, cabernet sauvignon & carignane

sara 
says
:  big and beautiful - a wine after my own heart!  this was my favorite of the three.  it really held up against the food we were eating but super smooth and delightful on its own. i will be buying this again for sure!
it also pairs well with a blue cheese.

nina says:
i liked this one too, but it is definitely bold. simon's favorite.




and finally, a few more photos from the event:
The dining room.
sara and her husband have an exquisite dining room. note the pretty tulips!
Wine color.
sara also taught us to look at the color of the wine in the candlelight.
Con gas, sin gas.
it was a wonderful evening and i learned so much. we are planning many more future collaborations, so stay tuned. and cheers to a happy weekend!

*what makes a wine organic? it is made from grapes grown on organic farms, which means no chemicals, no pesticides and no unnatural flavor enhancements. organic and sustainable wines also reduce their environmental impact during production and are said to be healthier for you. 

8 comments:

  1. Yeah this was so much fun! We must do it again soon, maybe with Spanish wines when we get back from our trip! Thanks for always having the best ideas xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your beautiful blog!
    Hugs
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun! I love wine and I'm excited to try these ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a great way to spend an evening. I should do this with my friends, though none of us are sommeliers... Oh well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I can't wait to try some of these... if I can find them : )
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun, Nina! I must go track down a bottle of frey.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've tried Bonterra, too. I agree, I was expecting more! I actually find that I like non-organic wines better than organic ones...that definitely surprised me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm excited to drink wine again after the bambino arrives — wine tastings are so fun! We had BonTerra's Syrah and Chardonnay at our wedding, which was a nice affordable choice since we stocked the bar.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.