february.

4088095048_face5d5533
as i type this, the snow is falling fast and furiously outside my window. luckily, i'm cozy inside, drinking a cup of tea, and thinking about the fact that i am turning thirty this month. thirty! oh my goodness.

i am actually very excited. simon and i are going to celebrate in austin, texas! any recommendations of things to do or places to eat?

p.s. a hilarious cooking video you should all check out. happy tuesday!

(photo credit: shawnisabelle)

15 comments:

  1. snow is so nice from the inside. but trudging outside in between classes - not so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. happy (early) birthday! i've never been anywhere in texas, so i'm excited to hear what you guys end up doing/seeing/eating/etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for birthdays! I'm so glad you're celebrating with Simon in a special place. Just the way a 30th birthday should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love Austin- It's been about 5 years since I was there last so not sure how relative my restaurant recommendations would be but I don't remember eating one bad meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh fun! i am a texas girl. although i live in dallas, austin is top on our list of places to visit. to eat: casino el camino (on 6th st.)-dive bar/delicious burgers, guero's (on south congress)-yummy tacos (austin has tacos everywhere you turn...these are delish), magnolia cafe-(on south congress) incredible breakfast ALL DAY LONG....i could go on and on.
    shopping: south congress...artsy boutiques/awesome shops
    waterloo records (on lamar) for music shopping

    there is a ton to do. if you have any questions, feel free to message me.
    have a blast.

    cortney (www.lifeonbondstone.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooh! turning 30 in Austin! I really like Austin although I've only been there during SXSW. We ate at this really fantastic called Sao Paulo's. It's on San Jacinto Blvd and it's pretty cheap and really delicious. We went there for lunch one day and had Guava margaritas - out of this world!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that is awesome! austin is on my list of places to visit. what a great place to spend a birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't know what is in Austin, but I hear it's a wonderful place to visit. Turning 30 isn't that bad, I did it last month.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh, I LOVE Austin! You should definitely spend a few hours meandering around South Congress (vintage clothes, Hill Country Yarns, antique shops, and a yummy avocado taco at the Mighty Cone food truck!). If you'd like to know more about the current art scene, shoot me an email and I'll put you in touch with my artsy Austin friend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. AUSTIN EATS
    Korientes for awesome, healthy Korean
    Manuel's for interior Mex
    East Side Showroom groovy cocktails and yummy chow
    Maria's Tacos for texmex breakfast

    on SoCo (fun day or night roaming)
    Perla's for seafood
    Hop Doddy for burgers, their hemp burger is great

    have fun! AshLeigh in Austin

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK. MY FRIENDS AND I JUST WENT TO AUSTIN, TX OVER SPRING BREAK LAST YEAR AND I'M TYPING THIS IN ALL CAPS BECAUSE IT'S THE BEST PLACE.

    mostly the food.

    gordo's doughnuts....a truck with handmade doughnuts. oh my god.

    all of the food trucks south of congress...there's one that has these fried cone things with chicken and coleslaw and stuff. so good. there's also a really good cupcake truck there.

    don't eat from any place not on wheels.

    ReplyDelete
  12. nina...trust me, life just keeps getting better once you hit your 30's! I promise.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Austin is amazing - you'll have so much fun there! I went to college there, at St. Edward's. Seconding Cortney's recommendations of Guerro's and Magnolia Cafe. Another great Mexican place is La Feria on Lamar, and is near a bunch of really cute vintage stores. If you go out at night, skip 6th street for the Warehouse District. I personally love the Six Tap Room. Opal Divine's is a cool bar. If you have time for a short trip out of town (about 30-40 minutes outside of town) hit Hamilton Pool. If not, definitely go to Mt. Bonnell and also see the Greenbelt. If you want to see the coolest bookstore ever, go to BookPeople. I believe it's still on Lamar, but don't know if they've moved. The flagship Whole Foods is nearby as well. If you like jazz, check out the Elephant Room on Congress. Really great atmosphere. For a nice dinner, I've heard great things about the Driskell Hotel - my best girlfriend got engaged there and has nothing but wonderful things to say about the food, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I truly, truly, TRULY think life gets better after 30.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.