oh honey.

Ingredients.


simon has been fighting off a nasty cold for the past few days, so i've been making him soothing concoctions of green tea, lemon, honey and ginger. for two people who don't like the taste of honey, we both agree, it's actually not bad.

Ginger, lemon, honey green tea.

call me a sucker, but i've also been rubbing his back, and encouraging him to watch silly things on television, like the super bowl. :)

what are your favorite natural remedies for when you are feeling under the weather?

p.s. another great idea: a steam bath

29 comments:

  1. Try some China Gel. It's soothing, as you know, and clears the sinuses.

    p.s. Have you tried lavender honey? I think you might like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. if it's stuffy sinuses, I like to use a neti pot with sea salt and an oil called Nasaya (i think that is what it's called)...it works wonders for clearing stuff out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds lovely! I always drink plenty of lemsip when I'm ill, haha. And adore honey in my tea - I don't put sugar in it anymore but honey has a lovely taste to it. I don't like honey on its own, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO MUCH SLEEP!! i try to get as much sleep as i can on the first day i notice a cold coming on, usually it really helps to nip it in the bud. of course, watching silly things on television when you're not sleeping is a must :) you're such a good caretaker!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great advice--I'm getting a cold so need something to help. I've got green tea; I've got (and love) honey. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree. honey on its own just doesn't appeal to me. but when it's in tea, yogurt, cereal (i.e. honey nut cheerios!) etc. , i love it!

    hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You don't like the taste of honey? Neither of you? That is rare! :)

    Hot toddies are great, especially with big heaping spoonfuls of lemon and honey with the whiskey. We load up on zinc, too. Feel better, Simon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually prepare hot tea with honey for The Love. When I am under the weather though... he prepares warm milk with honey for me. I'm not very fond of tea.

    We both use a sinus rinse when it comes to sinus issues. I vowed against it, then used it for the first time ever about a week ago and voila CURED! For the most part at least. I didn't feel like I was dying anymore. :)

    Hope Simon feels better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. echinecea and garlic! garlic oil in the ears (can be bought at a natural foods store or co-op), and rub cloves on the arches of the feet with olive oil! I know it sounds very strange but garlic was the main form of medicine before the antibiotic was invented, it kills everything! keep the garlic cloves in his socks for a couple hours and you should notice a big difference!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sleep, lots of good quality water, hot lemon water with honey, eating garlic (my husband swears by this), neti pot or saline sprays always works for me, and of course a massage to help get things moving.
    Hope Simon feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is a good one. and a pretty tea bag helps, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Essential oils are so great for killing viruses and infections...mix a drop of lemon oil and clove oil in a glass of water, use it like mouthwash every half hour...If you end up with a chest cough...drop peppermint and lavender on your back and cover with a hot damp towel...helps loosen up your airways. make sure you purchase quality oils...Mountain Rose Herbs are my favorite, but Aura Cacia are decent too.

    http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

    http://www.auracacia.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can't believe you don't like the taste of honey! When I'm sick I always make copious amounts of lemon, honey and ginger tea. And then I watch lots of trashy t.v.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Nina! These photos are lovely! Tea + movies + couch cuddles usually work for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. early nights to bed and sleeping with a humidifier on. reminds me of my youth...so i fall asleep happy and wake up with clear sinuses.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I swear by the neti pot! Seriously, it cleans you out. I think I've warded off many an illness with that little thing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. such lovely photos :) I agree that hot tea is one of the best ways to feel better. hope simon feels better very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. try a papaia smoothie everyday. Works in two days, guaranteed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I make the same thing when I'm feeling sick, minus the green tea. It always seems to do the trick. I also curling up with a heat pad and book or movie. Naps on the couch do wonders!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This post is juuuust lovely even though I have a hard time believing there are folks who don't like honey!!

    Throat coat tea is a lifesaver for singers. Zinc tablets and this onnnne lozenge of which I have forgotten then name. lOl isn't that helpful?

    ReplyDelete
  21. I burn it out with spicy chicken soup (usually a tortilla soup) and copious doses of bourbon. Works every time!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Was that "oh honey" title a reference to the how i met your mother episode on monday, by chance??

    ReplyDelete
  23. yes, indeed, the title is in reference to one of my favorite tv shows: how i met your mother! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. A day of snuggling in a blanket, watching movies and drinking tea, usually does the trick.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh yes honey. I discovered how magic honey was for a sore throat when I was desperate in Europe for a quick cure.

    ReplyDelete
  26. beautiful photos! what a sweet wife you are. hope simon's feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  27. My hubby's fighting a cold and cough too....and I've been making him ginger tea. He doesn't have any sugar so he'll not have honey either, but the ginger is really soothing for colds and sore throats.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.