
upon the recommendation of a friend, i picked up room by emma donoghue about a week ago. it is quite possibly the strangest-- and most riveting-- book i have ever read.
the story is told from the point of view of five-year-old jack who lives with his mother in a room that measures 11 x 11 feet. the kicker? he has never seen the outside world.
it is both disturbing and heart-warming, sweet and terrifying. if you're interested in learning more, check out the official book trailer. it's very well done.
the story is told from the point of view of five-year-old jack who lives with his mother in a room that measures 11 x 11 feet. the kicker? he has never seen the outside world.
it is both disturbing and heart-warming, sweet and terrifying. if you're interested in learning more, check out the official book trailer. it's very well done.
have any of you read it? what did you think?
I haven't read that book but it sounds very interesting! Maybe I'll pick it up the next time I'm at the library. :)
ReplyDelete~Starr
I read this book in one sitting this past fall. I agree with everything you said here...beautiful and poignant.
ReplyDeletei was just wondering what to read next... sounds intense.
ReplyDeletei'm still recovering from room.
ReplyDeletemore like rocking myself in a corner with my thumb in my mouth.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah.
xo,
katie
Hmm...sounds interesting! And congrats on 1k followers! Yay! :D
ReplyDeletehmmmm, I am thinking I might be too disturbed to read it. I hope there is some goodness about it, ha! It just sounds so sad to me, :(
ReplyDeletex
I had to stop reading at one point. It was too intense. But I'm glad I read Room. So many books are same old, same old. This was unique.
ReplyDeleteI love hearing about your bookshelf.
that sounds so interesting. thank you for the idea - just finished a book and need a new one! xoxo
ReplyDeleteThere are trailers for books now? I guess they have to be competitive!
ReplyDeleteSounds intriguing, I'll have to add it to my ever expanding 'to read' list.
My friend said the same thing about this book, I heard it's intense!
ReplyDeleteI'm intrigued, but I might have to work up to it. Even the trailer is disturbing.
ReplyDeleteBy the way, I've been enjoying steel cut oats with dried cranberries lately, too! I've been adding homemade applesauce to mine.
Oh wow, that sounds really interesting. My Goodreads list just got a little longer!
ReplyDeleteI've read it and really liked it! Very creepy and unique.
ReplyDeleteI read this in the fall and could not put it down! Thought is was one of the most compelling, horrifying, intense and redemptive stories I have ever read. I've been recommending it to so many folks!
ReplyDeleteI just finished reading this book yesterday. It was very good! I'm really glad they ended the book on a pretty positive note. It would be interesting if she did a follow up book so we can see how Jack is years down the line.
ReplyDeleteI keep hearing about this book and wondering if I'd like it or hate it...
ReplyDeleteI haven't read it, but it sounds wonderful. I'll have to see if my library has it...
ReplyDeleteI LOVED the book. I listened to it every day during my commute to work. Very engaging. I'm a kindergarten teacher, so the perspective of a 5 year old sucked me in!
ReplyDeletethis sounds super creepy but kind of enticing too. thanks for the rec!
ReplyDeleteso excited, love finding new books!
ReplyDeleteAh, that gives me the hibeyjibeys just thinking about it. (HeebieJeebies? HibbieJibbies? Sp?!)
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I could read it. Hmmmm. Sounds intriguing though.
ReplyDeleteLove jade plants.
I AM SO INTRIGUED! I always thought the Fritzl case was fascinating (in a twisted and morbid and absolutely AWFUL way of course)...thanks for the book rec!
ReplyDelete