getting through winter.

gettingthroughwinter
today is another snow day in boston. i'm beginning to forget what our sidewalks look like. so, in an attempt to stay positive, here are a few of the things that keep me sane during the cold, dark days of winter.

1. books. it goes without saying, but curling up with a new novel is one of my favorite things in the world. thanks to the suggestion of meredith, i am now hooked on indie bound. i also downloaded the indie bound iphone app that helps me keep track of all the books i want to read. love.

2. thick, wool socks. i wear them inside my boots, around the house, and sometimes even to bed. handmade ones are the best, although these look pretty cozy too.

3. hope in a jar. i'm not usually into expensive cosmetics, but this lotion is divine. it's light, non-greasy, hydrating, and smells really good. goodbye dry skin.

4. knitting. it keeps me busy when i'm cooped up inside, and the gratification of finishing something is nothing short of glorious.

5. tea lights. we have them all over our condo, and they make even the gloomiest of days feel just a little bit cozier. fun fact: did you know that they were originally created to keep tea pots warm? :)

6. crosswords. every night, simon and i climb into bed, turn on our bedside lamps, and try to solve the day's crossword puzzle. i have to confess that every once in a while, i fall asleep before we finish. but it's one of the best parts of my day.

7. messenger bag from moop. it's big enough to haul around all my winter gear: hat, gloves, extra scarf, tissues, book, and even a snack. i don't know what i would do without it.

8. pretty mugs. whether it's for my daily cup of coffee, my afternoon tea break, or a hot chocolate with marshmallows, i firmly believe that mugs should be fun to look at. this particular one is from here.

9. good radio. i feel so lucky to live in boston where we have emerson's station, "music for the independent mind" and another independent station called "the river". what else is there to do on a snow day, but listen to incredible tunes all day long? of course, there is always wait wait, don't tell me, too, which never fails to entertain.

so, tell me, what do you do to stay sane during the winter? 

24 comments:

  1. I love all of these things -- even though we're not exactly having the kind of winter that's taking over Boston.

    Hope in a jar is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nina! I haven't been by your blog in a while and i've missed it ;) I like all of your "picks" for getting through the winter. Cozy socks are my fave and the brand name "moop" makes me want to buy one of the bags just because the name sounds so darn cute! I've been wanting to try hope in a jar for years, perhaps i'll take the plunge and splurge. Happy Wednesday.
    <3 gina

    ReplyDelete
  3. As much as these New England snow days seem to be getting monotonous, I'd be lying if I said I didn't love them :) These picks make me all the more happy to stay inside on my computer with my tea and my cat! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh what perfect items for Winter! It's snowing away here too, tons of it! I just bought wooly cream socks yesterday, hope they arrive soon...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ooh, such a lovely post...all your picks are perfect for winter! :) i've been staying warm in a snuggie we got for christmas ha, ha! i was a little resistant at first, but it's prefect for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm new to your blog and this post really made me stop and smile. I'm in the middle of the blizzard sweeping the midwest so I'm SO READY for winter to be over. But this post reminded me of the few reasons why winter is an okay month...thanks for that!! I'm so happy I stumbled across your blog today!

    <3 Ashley
    www.ahastylife.com
    ashley dot hasty at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect post -- I needed this today :)
    I love, love, love Hope in a Jar too. It's so luxurious. I also love my UGGs. I wear them in the house all day. Cozy defined.
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I live in San Diego so I don't get the same weather. However, one of my sanity keepers is my humidifier. I put it on blast next to my bed all night to avoid parched skin and dry sinuses by morning.
    A latte or 2 a day never fails either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Books! Curling up with a book, is a great way to past the time when you're inside!
    AND having a good snack nearby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your list! I love wearing thick wool socks in the winter. I have so many pairs of them now and I put them on first thing in the morning and take them off after my feet have warmed up in bed. I love knitting and I love crossword puzzles too. My husband and I have been doing them for years now. Stay warm in Boston. Sounds like your city and my city have suffered the most this winter, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great list! What do you knit? What advice do you have for beginning knitters? I can quilt, cross stitch, and sew a little, but I am thinking about taking up knitting too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. darcie, i just started knitting, so i'm still learning the basics. i have made a couple of dish rags! :) my only advice is just to have fun with it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. all good things! i've been trying so many of these getting through winter techniques i had to start a label to categorize them all. right this second i'm drinking a big cup of tea, something warm to prepare me for a meeting i have to trek to tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like making soup and reading poetry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. we too had a snow day here in detroit, but i don't think we'll get a second one. luckily we have an awesome who blew our sidewalk for us!

    i really need to invest in some wool socks like that.. my feet get freeeezing in the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, right now I'm trying to stay sane in the middle of a heat wave. I just went for a swim, which helps a lot. But I like your wintery suggests nevertheless. x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Seriously, Boston is getting dumped on! Hang in there. :) Knitting is definitely one of my new favorites for relaxing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. cozy thick knit cardys, listening to my fiances wonderful music, drinking tea with milk and honey, homeknit hats and scarfs, lots and lots of blankets. hot food.
    truth be told i live in Los Angeles... but in my defense i get cold easy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the Moop bag! I agree...the name is fun & alluring. My favorite winter picks? #1 Buying FLOWERS- such a cheery treat during winter. Other fun winter treats- watching old B & W flicks with Katherine Hepburn, Joan Crawford...winter calls for these classics. A new pick for this year- getting Goddess Leonie's 2011-Creating your Goddess Year workbook. Chock full of ideas & fun activities to kick-start 2011. I'm recommending it to every Goddess friend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love this list; it's the perfect "needs" for winter. I'm glad that I'm not the only one who loves crossword puzzles!

    ReplyDelete
  21. thanks for this, it's such an inspiring post. i too have been getting a bit weary with the winter days. i like to meet friends in a cafe for a warm steamy drink... my first time leaving a comment as well, though i've popped in for inspiration before:).

    ReplyDelete
  22. hope in a jar is my absolute favorite thing! it does smell so yummy and works miracles on my skin:)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love everything mentioned on your list. living in california, my winters are mild. I haven't ever experienced a true winter so I don't know how it feels, but I'm sure that if I was to be stuck in a winter rut, your list would keep me sane.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I actually did a post about this on February 1st! My list is here: http://beagleandbear.blogspot.com/2011/02/winter-survival-guide.html

    Oh, and I totally agree about pretty mugs : )

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.