tossing and turning.


last night i couldn't sleep.

i tried adjusting the temperature, switching up the covers, drinking a glass of water, flipping my pillow, breathing, meditating, and last but not least, getting up and puttering around the house.

but alas, i still didn't get more than a couple hours of shut-eye.

what do you do when you can't sleep? i'd love some suggestions!


(photo credit: madelinetosh)

22 comments:

  1. I take tylenol PM or nyquil... I take the easy way out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I can't sleep I take a shower. The water calms me. It doesn't always work but I usually feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too! Then someone called me around 8 a.m. - when I hadn't fallen asleep until about 3.
    After 2.30 I took a melatonine supplement pill, seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A glass of milk and a couple of graham crackers is a great remedy for insomnia, I find.

    ReplyDelete
  5. often I can't sleep if something is on my mind, I either lay down and think about it straight on, or write it out, Once those nagging thoughts are "acknowledged", sleep often follows!

    ReplyDelete
  6. a glass of wine usually does it for me. i've also noticed that if i have a small carby snack (like graham crackers) right before bed, i pass out pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Nina ... that is so not a fun way to start the week. I feel your pain.

    When I can't sleep, I come downstairs to read ... or if it's an endless stream of thoughts/worries that's keeping me up, I write them down. Sometimes that helps. Here's hoping you get a full and restful night's sleep tonight.

    Love the idea of guest posters by the way. How fun...

    ReplyDelete
  8. The same thing happened to me last night! Must be something in the air...USUALLY, a glass of wine helps me, too. However, last night I kept wandering about. Hrmph.

    Exhausted at the office now. How are you holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nina, I'm home in Norway, enjoying the most beautiful summer weather!!! Hardly any better place when the weather is co-operating :-). When I can't sleep (or I've been traveling and have the feeling I won't be able to sleep) I turn to yoga.... Two exercises work for me. Vipariti karani (legs up the wall), with a pillow under my butt, letting the hips sink into the pillow, arms to the side or above my head. The second one I take one of the big pillows from the couch, lay down with my butt on the floor, the body and head resting on the big pillow. Feet together and knees falling out, arms by the side, chest open so the breath can easily go in and out. If this is straining your inner thighs, put a pillow under the outer side of your thighs....In this pose I even fall asleep sometimes. Both poses are great if you need to have a rest after a stressful day too....and for jet-lag. Good luck....hope you will have a peaceful night!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This happens to me on occasion as well, and when I can't sleep I either make a cup of yummy Sleepytime Tea (http://www.celestialseasonings.com/products/detail.html/herbal-teas/sleepytime) or take a Melatonin tablet (which is an all natural sleep aid.) Or sometimes I'll just use it as an opportunity to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. i can't believe i didn't think of wine! me? forget wine? that's nuts. :) thanks everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sometimes I'll prop my laptop on my chest and watch a favorite movie I've already seen. That usually puts me right to sleep :) xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. A bath and a book, usually does the trick. If not a minute of "child's pose" helps too. Sleep tight!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I watch old episodes of Grey's Anatomy on my Ipod under the covers until I can't keep my eyes open! Happy dreaming!

    ReplyDelete
  15. normally it's something I can't stop thinking/worrying about so I have to write it down and get it out of my head. I also put my iPod on with those holosync sleep learning type tracks, the ones where something is different is in each ear. It is too hard to concentrate on one or the other and it puts me to sleep in about 5 minutes flat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. A hot shower works nicely for me most of the time. Sometimes combined with a small glass of wine.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a couple of great but terribly boring books that I keep on hand for when I just cant sleep. They're all full of information I want, but that I cant read for too long with out dozing off. :)
    -Molecular Gastronomy: Exploring the Science of Flavor
    -Imagined Communities: Reflections on the Origin and Spread of Nationalism

    (apparently all my books have subtitles)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have this "Chill" mister I spray on my face and my pillows before bed:

    http://www.purepotentwow.com/P2-misters.htm

    I love it!

    Hope you had a better sleep :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. my husband always tells me to do my nighttime routine over again. wash my face, go to the bathroom, drink some water, and then get into bed with a good book. it really helps!

    sorry to hear about your rough night -- those are the worst. :[

    ReplyDelete
  20. i had a hard time sleeping that night, too! and you know what's funny, i've read from multiple bloggers that have blogged about the very same thing... sleepless blogger night? what in the world? ;) so weird.

    here's to hoping we all get some sweet, sweet sleep. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. When I'm having a really difficult time sleeping, I flip around so that my head is where my feet would normally be. For some strange reason, this seems to work every time!

    www.jacquelynclark.com

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.