
a couple of years ago, i lived in a tiny one bedroom apartment across the street from the world's most amazing little cheese shop. every week or so, i would buy a chunk of gruyère or boerenkaas and some crackers, and that would be my dinner. ah, the life of a single lady.

well, yesterday i went back, snapped a few pictures, and left with a big, beautiful chunk of deliciousness. and when i got home... well, let's just say, it's a good thing simon wasn't home, because it wasn't pretty. i consumed more cheese than any person should eat in a whole week.
to make myself feel better, i also ate a pear and a blood orange...
... but i still feel full.
so, tell me, what's your favorite guilty pleasure dinner? do you ever just eat cheese too? :)
p.s. the shop has its own blog if you're curious.


aww this is cute! I love cheese!! If I could live on Brie cheese I would!! It's a guilty pleasure of mine!
ReplyDeleteMy son could def. eat a block of cheese. Myself, I think I could eat pasta with really good clam sauce.
ReplyDeleteif i had a dollar for every time i ate more cheese than i should, i would have hundreds of dollars that i would in turn, spend on more cheese.
ReplyDeletehodge podge, lol! that's hilarious. :)
ReplyDeletethat is really cute! a whole block of cheese! I don't think I could do that, but I'd want to!
ReplyDeleteumm...I guess my guilty pleasure is instant noodles and spam! it's so good!
oh man, don't get me started on cheese. its absolutely my weakness although i did have a lot of single girl dinners with a jar of peanut butter. oh yeah.
ReplyDeleteYes, I LOVE cheese. I think having cheese and crackers with some wine for dinner every once in a while is perfectly okay!
ReplyDeletenot cheese, rice. ill make a whole thing of rice pilaf and eat it myself.
ReplyDeleteToast with melted cheddar cheese and tomato relish is my guilty "at home alone" pleasure. So simple, so yummy. Could eat slice after slice.
ReplyDeleteNachos with salsa and guacamole are my guilty pleasures....yum!
ReplyDeleteI'm definitely a cheese fiend, and this store sounds like a gem, can't believe I haven't visited it yet - guess that's what we'll be doing this weekend:).
ReplyDeletethis post rings SO true to me. i once spent... let's say... a significant chunk of a paycheck buying various kinds of cheese and doing my own little tasting. by myself. i'm truly jealous of you for having such delicious cheeses so close by. on the other hand, my waistline begs to differ!
ReplyDeleteoh my gosh, Nina! You are my hero!!! I have a cheese problem-- I love it sooo very much. But high cholesterol runs in my family.. so it's VERY bad for me to consume it. I am eternally jealous of your chunk-of-cheese-eating :)
ReplyDeletewhat is it about cheese? it's addicting. i do not think i could live a life without it. hehe. it was my fav single girl dinner and my fav not so single girl dinner. it is my only roadblock to being totally vegan. my favorite cheese is drunken goat...if you haven't tried it, it's a must!
ReplyDeleteCheese is amazing! Blue cheese is one of my favorites. However, my guilty pleasure is home made clam dip with Lay's potato chips....SO yummy...SO unhealthy...I only do it about once a year...
ReplyDeleteI love cheese too. i have been known to eat it for dinner. But I am also partial to eating a bag of microwave popcorn for dinner!
ReplyDeleteOh, cheese. Subject of some of my favorite dinners alone. I am so with you.
ReplyDeleteCheese, glorious cheese! One of my favorite at home treats is a lovely cheese plate, all decked out with sliced baguette and a bit of fresh fruit--and a glass of wine. So glad I'm not the only lady in this boat. At least we're getting our calcium :-)
ReplyDeleteI love cheese so much that I'm actually taking an 8-week cheese certificate program at BU. It's being taught by none other than the owner of Formaggio's Kitchen. Can't wait!
I love cheese, either on its own, or on anything at all, actually. I think I could live on it, quite honestly. My husband and I have recently "discovered" Gruyere, and we make the most delicious paninis with it. We recently experimented with Asiago as cheese base for a pizza, which turned out beautifully! See my recipe posts for paninis and pizza here: http://pinkstreetdesign.blogspot.com/2010/01/diy-thursday-carmelized-onion-and.html, and here: http://pinkstreetdesign.blogspot.com/2010/02/feast-your-eyes-upon-this.html.
ReplyDelete--Sarah
I know just what you mean! Except sometimes I still do this, even as a newly-married girl. :) Cheese and crackers is a favorite guilty pleasure, as is raw almond butter from the jar.
ReplyDeleteYES I often eat cheese by the block too... it is a horrible habit, but it tastes so good! I also try to eat a pear or something healthy with it to make me feel better.
ReplyDeletei love cheese... but I usually need a cracker or two with it. love the photo effect with the old film look.
ReplyDeleteCheese and crackers or a yummy baguette is for my sure guiltiest pleasure. yum...
ReplyDeletefantastic photos nina! i love, love, LOVE cheese of all kinds. there are few dishes i cook that don't have cheese in it. i could mosty definitely make it a meal. it's a good thing there's not a cheese store across the street from me!!
ReplyDeleteHaha I def. only have cheese for dinner sometimes while sitting with my husband! (And no, I don't share). :)
ReplyDeleteI love cheese and crackers (with mustard)...one of my favorite snacks for sure!
ReplyDeleteSigh... I miss cheese. That is all.
ReplyDeleteMy favorite guilty pleasure dinner is a delightful combination of cheese, crackers and m&ms.
ReplyDeleteWhen we honeymooned on Nantucket (in the heat of July), Todd and I ate out for lunch and then dinner was usually a loaf of crusty french bread, good brie, fruit, and wine back in our room at The Swan's Nest. So good!
ReplyDeleteI loooooovvvee cheese! I'm allergic to dairy so it really makes me sad, I still eat it though haha (it's totally worth it). I could eat brie for the rest of my life, i'd have to be hooked up to an iv but that's fine by me!
ReplyDeletecheese and bread! my two loves!!
ReplyDeletebtw- i posted a small tidbit about your blog on mine today. :)
Mozzarella us my guilty pleasure. I blame marrying an italian. Whenever I cook a meal that requires shredded mozzarella cheese I have to buy extra because, when my husband isn't looking, I'll grab a huge handful lean over the sink and stuff it in my mouth. I lean over the sink so I don't make a mess when some fall out. Gross, but sooooo good!
ReplyDeleteI love eating cheese and crackers! I eat it for dinner a little too much..hehe. I'm also obsessed with this cypriot cheese called Halloumi which you can cook in a frying pan without it melting. Its delicious on toast!
ReplyDeleteCheese is delicious...sharp cheddar is my favorite, I don't care how many fancy kinds there are. It's just my go-to.
ReplyDeleteAnd guilty dinners: they mostly involve a big bowl of ice cream. And nothing else :)
Hi Nina! To quote Paul Child, cheese and a baguette are "the butter to my bread, the breath to my life...." Okay, that might be pushing it (a little), but my beau and I love to delight in a beautiful platter complete with a variety of delicious cheeses, sliced baguette, grapes, strawberries, and of course, a lovely glass of vino. And we guiltlessly do this once or twice every couple of weeks, or even for a picnic lunch. Sheer bliss!
ReplyDeletedeliciousssss. i want to go to a farmers market pronto.
ReplyDeleteCheese. Yummy. I LOVE goats cheese. Best dinner with different cheeses, some fresh baguette, wine and some good friends. *sigh*
ReplyDeleteMy guilty pleasure dinner?! Chocolate Icecream with chocolate sauce.
Cheese and bread. Put under the broiler. It's the best!
ReplyDeleteyour cheese = my peanut butter :)
ReplyDeleteI LOVE cheese and bread, and would definitely eat that for dinner, especially if it's rounded out with some fruit. That's three of the four food groups!
ReplyDeleteAt least twice a hockey season, I have 7 layer dip and beer for dinner. Mmm.
I certainly could eat a whole block of cheese! love the stuff!
ReplyDeleteuh, nina? i eat just cheese for dinner ALL the time.
ReplyDeletemy favorite guilty pleasure dinner has got to be a sundae. hands down!
xo