fjäll räven backpacks.






as some of you know, norway and sweden are huge rivals. we both claim to be the best scandinavian country, but it's so silly because obviously norway is better! :)

that being said, it turns out sweden manufactures these amazing fjäll räven backpacks, which i am currently obsessed with. so, maybe sweden isn't so bad afterall.*

i actually saw fjäll räven backpacks for sale at the ace hotel in portland, but resisted buying one because it was so pricey. (nina hides her head in regret.) oh, i want one so badly!

what's so funny is that growing up in scandinavia these backpacks were everywhere! absolutely everywhere. i remember thinking that they were so ubiquitous that they couldn't possibly be "cool". not to mention that at that time in my life, things from the u.s. seemed so much cooler. (nina bangs her head on the wall).

oh how times change. now that i'm here in boston and in love with these backpacks, i have charged my mother with finding one for me in norway. go, mom, go! i know you can do it.

now tell me, do any of you have one? no, wait. i take it back. i don't want to know.


* just kidding. stockholm is one of my favorite cities in the world.

11 comments:

  1. Ummmm... Norwegians are better? Those are fightin' words, lady! :-) But you're right, pretty much everyone in Sweden has owned a Fjällräven bag at some point, and we never really outgrow them. I still have one and probably will as long as I've got stuff to tote around. They're so much more expensive in the U.S!

    ReplyDelete
  2. different is always beautiful. and i looove this backpack. i may need one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. *disregards first comments about Sweden* My first - and only - Fjällräven was tiny and yellow. I got it when I was 6 and was going to start 1st grade. There's such a cute photo of me carrying my little backpack and waving on my way to my first day in school. I had no idea school would be a dreadful, horrible place for me for so many years.... I look so happy and unknowing, carrying my little backpack and waving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. vanessa, i love sweden. but damn i'm jealous of your backpack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have one of these! But it's the mini and I adore it. It's the perfect size for my journal, Polaroid camera, wallet, and keys. The best!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I want one too...I wonder if my Mum can get one?
    Hmmm...
    Thanks for sharing, hope your head is ok...
    Char

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I do have one of these! Seriously, go get yourself one right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want one too! They are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, I didn't know you were Norwegian. Have followed your blog because you write so beautifully about everyday life (and then some....). And YES, you have my vote for Norway!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got a blue Fjällräven backpack when I was six. It was my school back for the first two years of school. I used to walk to school with a bunch of other girls. There was a rocky hill on the way. In the winter we would stop there and slide down the slopes with our backpacks under our bums.

    I used that same pack again in high school. It had holes and scratches on it from all that sliding. Later on the zipper broke. I still used it - with a safetypin holding the zipper together.

    The bag is still somewhere. I couldn't throw it away because it holds so many memories.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, god, I had no idea that you grew up in Norway! Haha, that's fun! But hello, Sweden is sooooo much better than Norway! ;)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.