some day i will learn to take pictures of things other than coffee cups.

IMG_1215

remember how i recently told you i want to learn how to take better pictures? well, i have a secret... my father is a photographer. and i've always been curious about photography, (and love looking at his work) but i've never really spent much time on it.

you're probably thinking i should have him teach me, right? yes, but he lives in norway, and we only see each other for short visits here and there. and we're usually too busy talking about life and drinking wine to focus on photography. :)

truth be told, i was hoping it would just come naturally to me. maybe it's genetic, right? hm, maybe not.

every day i'm so inspired by all the artists, designers and photographers in the blogosphere. i love it when bloggers share bits and pieces of their lives through photography. you are all so talented!

so, i'm curious, do you have any tips? tricks up your sleeves? genius recommendations for where to begin? thank you!
xo.

p.s. simon and i both recently got mugs with our initials on them from anthropologie. aren't they fun?

26 comments:

  1. That's a cute mug!
    I don't have any tips, unfortunately. I don't take many pictures, but I'd love to get in the habit of it. Just curious, what kind of camera do you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i have a canon powershot Canon sx10. it has great settings but i can't change the lens. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. my husband and i both got the same mugs from anthropologie for valentine's day. they're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not particularly good at photography, but I do try to capture things as I see them. I need to do that more really :-) My brother lives in Norway and we are heading there in July - can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only advise i have to give on photography (i'm in my second year studying it as one of my A-Levels) is clicking away all the time.

    Play around with it, take pictures at different times in the day and see what light works better, try close ups or from far away. To be a good photography all it takes is a camera and the determination to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It must be so inspiring to have a father who is photographer! But be careful, photography is an addiction :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. it DOES came naturally to you naturally nina!

    p.s. i had no idea simon was not simon's real name! still trying to comprehend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wait... what?!? you take great photos! i've been reading your blog for about a month (or two) and i truly thought you were a photographer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. awww thank you guys. you are sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A camera with a variety of lenses makes me happy! I have a canon and a nikon....prefer the canon. Low depth of field is fantastic for focusing on one object, blurs out everything else.
    As for your pics, I always think they're so pretty. You have an eye for composition, which is really important for detail shots.

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have a great eye !
    all you need is a dslr and some lenses and you will be crazy in love !
    shoot everyday...no matter what and play often with the natural light of the sun....
    and the best advice I can give...find strangers and ask if you can photograph them....
    good luck !

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love taking photos as much as I like looking at them. I think a great picture is one that evokes and emotion or calls you back to look closer. My favorites seem to be capturing the things we overlook as being beautiful on a day to day basis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the initial mug. And I must say, I am drawn to photos of coffee mugs and tea cups! There's just something about them that makes me feel cozy...

    Nina! Just wanted to let you know, too, that my "Je t'aime" notecards came in the mail today and I am just delighted! I can't wait to start writing lovely little letters to all my faraway friends. Thank you again!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey nina! i'm no expert but here are some tips from one of my favorite bloggers:

    http://martawrites.blogspot.com/2009/10/basic-photography-tips.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. You can use your cute mug for the green smoothie! Once you start the green thing it's hard to stop. We have more in common than being fellow Norwegians....I'm a yoga teacher too and a big fan of Sara Avant Stover!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. i love photos of every day items. i agree with Pinecone Camp that a low DOF can make the most simple and ordinary items into beautiful photographs.

    I am totally inspired by the photography of the two women who made the Year of Mornings and Year of Evenings blog http://3191ayearofmornings.com/mornings/

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think your photos are great! I'm no expert, but I say the best way to improve is practice, practice, practice. Take your camera everywhere, and pictures of everything.
    P.S. I love those mugs. I bought a few of them for Christmas gifts last year, and couldn't resist grabbing a few for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just discovered that the Pioneer Woman not only has great recipes, but she has tons of photography tips as well! Check it out:

    http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/


    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was going to write "no tips" but then realized one of the most obvious things: taking the simple things in your world and giving them a space to breath and be in a photograph is probably one of the best ways to start. Even if it's just mugs of coffee and cocoa every day. They become magical given the room to speak!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm not very good at photography, but I am trying to get better as well. I just upgraded from a point and shoot to a dslr and have loved the difference.

    If you're still using a point and shoot, however, I recommend getting to know your manual settings. The photos I loved the most from my point and shoot were ones that I took with manual settings. And always take multiple shots with different settings (especially ISO) because they always look different on your camera and computer. Happy shooting, can't wait to see your pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think your pictures are great nina! Photography definitely seemed to get passed down to you by your dad. Those mugs are cute too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. hello!!
    first of all, you have a great eye for composition! i'm a professional photographer, in general my recommendation to anyone is to shoot daily. and i mean DAILY. whether its 3 photos or 300 photos you take that day, it's still something. my fiance, also a photographer, likes to call them 'visual push-ups'. :) Honestly, i think you should upgrade to a DSLR. it doesn't need to break the bank either. Perhaps look into a Canon Rebel and buy 2 really good lenses. (*note* the investment is in the lenses! because they will last. camera bodies will wear out on you and eventually conk out, esp. digital -- i'm sure you already know that tho, with your father being a photog ;) With a DSLR, you will find more options and more controls which will allow you to be more creative and therefore help you be a better photographer. It's all live & learn and trial & error. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm not a professional photographer, but I think you have the eye and the imagination. The rest is playing and shooting everyday and the cutting of the pictures. It will come with time.

    My special tip is: Try different camera types. It might be that you need a dslr, but not necessarily. I just downgraded to a Lomo Fisheye2 and I'm crazy about it. I shot 20 Films since I got it 2 1/2 weeks ago.
    I've had a countless cameras in my life from simple film cameras with aperture and distance control, to a simple slr with 3 lenses, to a semi-professional Nikon F90 to the Canon d-Ixus 7.5MP. But it was the Lomo were all settings (time and aperture) are fix, that got me back to the fun of photography. It got me really inspired, which led to a new blog.

    So ask your friends to try out their cameras, maybe even go on a photosafari together and have a fun day out shooting. Check out which camera works best for you, which pictures you like most.

    I wish you a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Tom and I got those mugs too, they are the cutest :) x

    ReplyDelete
  25. My only advice is pick up the camera and start shooting. And never stop ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. My husband & I have those mugs too!! Thanks for the sweet comment on my hair; my friend actually did it. I'm really glad I wore it down, I got a lot of compliments that it looked "natural." :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.