nineteen seventy four.

wedding9wedding1
lately, i have been flipping through my parents' wedding album
a lot. i know i'm biased... but i think they were pretty stinkin' adorable.


wedding2wedding7
it's amazing to me how everything was so much more low-key back then. i can't help but smile at how hilariously dated the photos are too. ha! seriously... who thought a white suit with black trim was a good idea?

wedding10wedding4

wedding5

Check Spelling

this last photo is my favorite. in fact, i'm considering making the exact same sign for our wedding day. now, if only i could also find a rust-colored chrysler station wagon too... :)


so, tell me... do you guys ever look at your parents' wedding photos?

26 comments:

  1. aww these are too sweet!! The last photo is beautiful!! The tuxes are soooo 70's!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these pictures are amazing!!! It's all so Royal Tenenbaums and I love that!!! :) I think it's the sweat band on their friend's head.

    I love looking at my parents wedding albums. My mom looks so perfect in her dress and my dad looks so handsome. I think they had a laid back church basement type reception but I could be wrong. I love looking back at it all. I wish their marriage would have lasted but it did last for 32 years.

    My parents even had a small, hardcover book that held the marriage vows etc. I assume the preacher read from it during the ceremony. He signed it as did my parents and they got to keep it. I thought that was a really cool little thing to have from their special day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look at them frequently. My mother died when I was twelve and there aren't many photos of her beyond her wedding album. At least, not that I have. She was so amazing and beautiful. I often wonder if we would have gotten along as adults, if she'd be proud of me now. I'd like to think so. In any case, yes, I look at the photographs and take great comfort in their happy smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those! Your parents are adorable. My parents didn't have many photos of their wedding...but I love the ones they do have. It was so simple.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such sweet photos...

    My parents got married in 1970 and, given the times, my Mom still managed to choose things that were timeless. Her dress was modest and lovely and my Dad and his groomsmen wore Morning Wear -- something we copied for our wedding. I used to pore over the pages of their wedding album. And they had a small, simple, but raucous reception ... so the story goes. It's always sounded like a really fun time....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think my parents have a wedding album. I've seen a photo. My mom was wearing a bright blue eighties dress, and they were on a golf course. Talk about low key! It was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love those pictures! I think the same thing about my parents - they were married in 1979 and my dad wore a powder blue suit! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Growing up, my mom and I would pull out their wedding photos on my parents anniversary and I would always ask to hear their whole romantic story of how they met, how dad proposed, what the wedding was like, etc. I miss doing that now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! Those are precious photos! They look so happy!

    I used to love to look at my parents photo album. It was sweet and simple as well. Since their divorce, I've looked at it less frequently. I've wanted to include some elements from their wedding in my own someday, but wonder now if maybe that's not a good idea. Still, I took the album with me when my mom moved out of her house. She didn't seem to want it, but I still enjoy looking at it sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. my parents are still together, so yes, that definitely makes it more fun to look at the photos.

    but either way, they were in love in that moment. so in my humble opinion, that's always something worth celebrating :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love their suits and dresses! They both have red hair!
    and they both look so happy!
    I like that guy's head band. It looks surprisingly well with his tux!

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dad wore the same tuxedo a year later at his wedding! His groomsmen wore brown tuxes and the ladies wore light green dresses with hoods. I can´t wait to see what 20 somethings think of our styles in 30 years.

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love (LOVE) looking at my parents old wedding photos. they look so in love, and it's so cool seeing what they were like when they were at the stage that i'm at right now. and it's fun because bringing out their wedding album always brings back the wedding stories of how my dad's brothers kidnapped my mom as a joke and they missed their flight after the wedding, and how my mom's two sisters secretly hated the other bridesmaid because they thought she was too bossy... and that their "getaway car" from the church was a huge double decker bus because my uncle at the time worked as a tourbus driver and "borrowed" the bus from the lot. such great stories! i can't wait to tell my kids the stories from our wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those tuxedoes....are awesome! lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nina, you should recreate, not only the sign but, that photo! How adorable would that be? :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. i do all the time!! one of my favorite things to do. and it's not just you, your parents are adorable!! can't wait to see all your precious wedding photos!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  17. I totally have looked at my parent's wedding pics. My mom made her dress, with of course the daisy trim on her veil. And the girls dresses were all yellow. So fun! I wonder if we'll look back someday at our own wedding pics and get the same sort of joyful laughs =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I love to look at old pictures of my parents. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love to look through my parents album. Their wedding (which took place 25 years ago this weekend!) was tiny. They only had a maid of honor and best man, and my mom's dress was prom-wear. They are ridiculously giddy though. They are just as happy today (if not more so) than they were 25 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love to look at my parents' old albums... I just love old pictures.

    Your parents are simply adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I do and it's craaaazy how young they were!

    And Nina, you are the spitting image of your dad! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. growing up, my favourite picture book was my parents' wedding album! :) and i always wished they'd have a video too, so when i got married that was one thing i made sure of: we have a kickass video, so that just in case any future daughter of mine wants to watch it and see what her parents were like back when they got married, it's all there :)

    lovely pictures! x

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have never looked at my parent's wedding photos (can't help seeing my dad's remarriage photos when I'm over at his place as I was a bridesmaid in their wedding and her daughter was the maid of honor and he and his wife have them plastered all over the house) but those photos of your parents are so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. As my Fiance and I have been planning our wedding, we've found ourselves looking back at our parent's wedding albums quite often. (from 1968 and 1974)

    Both of our parents have one photo that is nearly identical of them waving goodbye as they headed off to their honeymoon and my Fiance and I have already planned to have our photographer recreate that photo on our wedding day.

    ReplyDelete
  25. My folks were married in 1976, and their wedding looked pretty darn similar to your parents!
    I remember looking at their wedding album throughout my whole life, dreaming of the day I would get married and be that happy too.
    My favorite picture is my mom holding her bouquet and looking at their unity candle with my dad beaming, but out of focus, in the background. I definitely want to have our photographer do a similar shot.
    My fiance's parents were really young when they got married in his great-grandpas front yard, and they have been divorced for many, many years. I've only ever seen one picture of that day. It makes me a little sad.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.