
the other day, my friend tanya really got me thinking about how much i love boston.
i've lived here for four years, and despite all of my other posts about the city, i have yet to share some of the more elusive reasons why i love this town.
i can safely say, boston is one of my favorite cities in the world. i've lived in stavanger (norway), new york city, london, munich, and paris; and yet... i think boston is uniquely accessible, progressive, historically rich, and charming.
here are some more reasons why i love it so:
- boston is, for all intents and purposes, a walking city. i spent the first three years in boston without a car and fared beautifully. it doesn't hurt that the public transportation system (the first in the country, mind you) is great too. i've actually heard it said that the strong walking culture can be partly attributed to boston's famous, historic walking tour i.e. the freedom trail.
- boston is an educational hub. even if you are not in school or working for a university, the vibe is undeniably academic and youthful. for this reason, i've often told people that boston is the perfect blend of history and innovation.
- it's in new england, which means it's oh-so charming (especially in the fall, sigh). it's also extremely accessible to so many other beautiful places in the northeast: new hampshire, vermont, maine, rhode island and so on. i would also second melina, who has said that western massachusetts (especially the berkshires) are ridiculously gorgeous.
- the red sox. enough said.
- and finally, (a few personal reasons)... i love boston because of its liberal politics, progressive social policies, awareness of sustainable living, and legalized gay marriage.
do you live in boston, or have you visited? i'm curious... what would you add?
(photo credit: parker fitzgerald)
I live about an hour and a half outside of Boston, in Connecticut. I'm sad to say that I haven't visited enough to have an opinion! Perhaps I should invest more in my convenient location.....
ReplyDeleteHi Nina,
ReplyDeleteFirst, let me say I love your name. Second, I found your blog through Tulips & Tea. Third, I love your blog and posts and I hope we become good blogging friends. Fourth, I think our relationship will be especially fun because I live in New York. So, you know what that means, right? GO YANKESS!!!! That's right. I'm and avid Yankee fan. Hahaha. Cheers Nina!!
P. S. Stop by my blog for a nice chat and visit.
I really enjoyed Boston. I was there the last time this summer and really enjoyed the city.
ReplyDeleteI went to Boston with a group of friends a few years ago, and it was one of the best trips we've ever had! I have been wanting to go back ever since. It's beautiful, wonderfully historic, the food was fabulous and the people were very friendly. :)
ReplyDeleteI visited Boston once last year and really liked it. I loved Beacon Hill. With the right job, would move there in a heartbeat!
ReplyDeleteI just loved this whole post. Fifteen thumbs up for Boston, and for you.
ReplyDeleteI've never visited, though I would LOVE to. I love the "walking city" post. I recently had a conversation with a friend about how much I'd love to live somewhere I could walk, and not have to drive everywhere. It totally changes the way you experience your city!
ReplyDeleteI've never visited Boston but after reading your post, now I need to!!
ReplyDeleteHappy to have found your blog via Lavender and Limes!!
I haven't visited either...but my husband LOVES it as do many Canadians...
ReplyDeleteOne day I'll get there...I love walking Cities...you get to know and see them better if you walk.
HUGS
Char.
Oh, I have a giveaway for one an original custom watercolour...did you enter yet?
You have time...I'll be picking a winner on Wednesday.
.x.
I have always wanted to move to Boston! Not just visit, but move there. My friend lives in Boston and can't stop raving about it! I think it's time I go visit it already, you have convinced me!
ReplyDeleteteatoastblog.blogspot.com
What a WONDERFUL post, Nina! Thank you!
ReplyDeletei've never visited, but would love to.
ReplyDeletei have yet to be on the east coast!
My sister lives in Wellesley, and visiting her is always lovely - especially in the fall.
ReplyDeleteInterestingly, I would apply pretty much your entire list of why you love Boston to why I love Washington DC! (and the surrouding area, like Old Town, Alexandria, where I live.) Historic, walkable cities are terrific.
I used to live in Boston. I moved back to NY this past year. I wasn't a big fan of Boston. I think the public transportation there SUCKS horribly. And the whole Red Sox culture is terribly annoying. I'm a New Yorker through and through, and Boston just always felt like it was trying to be like NY, but never quite succeeding.
ReplyDeleteI went to Boston for the first time last year on a long weekend trip. I loved it! One of the reasons I loved it was its walk-ability. It is so nice to be able to see everything on foot. I also loved the history and the well preserved historic buildings. The amount of public green space was also amazing!
ReplyDeleteOoh, I love Boston too!! I have never lived there, but I always dreamed of it. All your reasons...plus the beautiful leaves in autumn (I'm from CA, so we never see those pretty colors).
ReplyDeleteAnyway, Boston is a great city :) Can't wait to visit it again!
ah, there is just something about boston.
ReplyDeletei love walking along the charles. i am originally from the nyc area and love it there, but i have to admit that i LOVE being able to walk along the charles, so close to the water. i love that it freezes over. i love its stillness. i love watching it as i take the red line to cambridge...
ReplyDeleteI love right outside the city and when we were in town having lunch last weekend at the Black Rose I was remaking about how wonderful it is to live here! :-) Cheers to Boston!
ReplyDeleteHave you been to the Gardner Museum? One of THE loveliest site of the many the city has to offer.
I've lived here my whole life and I still love it. One of my favorite aspects is its feel of a big city yet the charm of a small town. There's a great sense of community in some of the surrounding towns (not TECHNICALLY Boston but it's hard to draw a line sometimes) ie, Cambridge, Jamaica Plain, etc.
ReplyDeleteI always hope I'll spot you in my coffee shop someday!
I love Boston! I've only been once - in the spring - but I would love to go back in the fall sometime! I live near D.C. so it's number one in my heart but Boston is a close second...I simply love all the history that's there!
ReplyDeleteHurrah! Yes yes, you must convince T to move there. She and I have a mutual friend in real life, oddly enough, and said friend may even move to Boston, too; if this is the case, I'm there! I hope this doesn't sound rude at any sort, but one of the main reasons I read your blog is because you're living in Boston, and I love the mentions. Of course I love everything you post, but I always look forward to the Boston-related posts :)
ReplyDeleteI love Boston too, for many of the same reasons! I've actually only been up to visit, but another reason I love Boston is that my Irish ancestors landed there. Even though I never lived in Boston, I still feel that familial connection to it.
ReplyDeleteYou've lived in some wonderful places! Why did you live in each place? I've only lived in one place my whole life (except college) and am curious about what else is out there! I would love to hear your stories!
ReplyDeleteI've lived in the suburbs all my life, and I have to agree- it's my favorite city! And I was just in the city on Sunday to see the Harry Potter exhibit, it was such a beautiful day (:
ReplyDeletei went to Boston for my summer holiday last year and i thought to my self this is a city i would like to live in...i'm sure we could go hand in hand and have some swell advenutres...if only!
ReplyDeleteI love your Boston posts. I've lived all over America, but this year has been my favorite. I'm so lucky.
ReplyDeleteI love the cobblestone streets - they're so much more fun to walk on. I love all the amazing restaurants. Some are better for dinner, some better for lunch, all DELICIOUS food. I miss it!!!
ReplyDeleteTry those cobblestone streets in heels though - I once lost a shoe. But they are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteJust ran across your blog Nina... LOVE it.
Your blog is wonderful. I grew up in Maine, and currently still live here. I absolutely LOVE Boston. I try to visit often, and I am seriously considering beginning my PhD next year at one of the city's fabulous universities. I love your Boston guides - you are really selling me on the area :)
ReplyDeleteI woke early and went on a "google cruise" No ticket, no seasickness. Just me and my morning coffee. And I found your delightfully charming blog. I moved to Boston from Michigan over thirty years ago with a small baby and very little money. I wanted to be by the ocean. We lived in the South End for 25 years and now I live in newburyport where I ride my bike to the ocean. Almost Every day.
ReplyDeleteI love seeing boston through your eyes and miss living there in so many ways.
We walked every where, me and the kid and what fun we had. What fun I have had reading your many posts.
I visited Boston from London last year. The ready helpfulness was what really struck me: people helping with suitcases on steep staircases from stations, a woman seeing me with a map and stopping to give me generous directions, the easy conversations people held... We are helpful in London but sometimes too busy to stop as much as we should.
ReplyDeleteJust checking out your Boston posts and loving them :) I do like Boston, I live like an hour away, hour and a half by train. Hopefully I'll be working there soon!
ReplyDelete