what really goes on at yoga school, part 1

024
(our yoga teacher manual a.k.a. the bible.)

what am i doing here?

when we first arrived and were seated in a large circle, i think every single one of us had a moment of panic. "all these other people are going to be better yogis than me. this is going to be nuts. i want to go home!" luckily, it turned out we were all terrified. and we made it.

IMG_5698
(my kripalu mug)

fifteen hour days:

i woke up at 6 a.m. every day and usually fell asleep around 10 p.m. it wasn't nearly as hard as i thought it would be... i got tired, yes, but the constant yoga and healthy food was very energizing. (and i still had my daily cup of coffee. of course!)

IMG_5679
(a little nook in my room)

speaking of...
the food was local, organic, mostly vegetarian, fresh, and made with love... what more could a girl ask for? i became addicted to the fresh avocados, the kripalu house dressing, the chai tea, the kale (i know!) and the morning granola. yum. i really miss having all of my meals prepared for me... :)

IMG_5774
(hilary and me)

the silliness:
we all bonded immediately, laughing about the fact that one our teachers resembles a ninja, sharing our life stories, and taking walks around the campus. i am so proud of all my friends who blossomed into yoga teachers over the course of the month.

310
(my friend athena doing some yoga in the grass)

and i'm even more appreciative that they let me talk about my bowels. :) yes, there was constant talk of bodily functions. maybe that's what happens when 57 people eat more fiber than ever before!

382
(ding! time to stop meditating.)

camel pose:
my favorite new pose is ustrasana. i used to avoid it like the plague, but several other yogis encouraged me, helped me, and supported me... and now i love it. funny how that happens.

om shanti! until tomorrow.

16 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you had such a wonderful time! I wish I lived closer so I could take a yoga class from you. I bet you'll be a fabulous teacher. :-)

    P.S. I have a love-hate relationship with camel pose. I find it so uncomfortable because my hip flexors are super tight, but I guess that's the whole point, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing moments of your journey!
    Sounds lovely and life-changing. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nina, I so enjoy hearing about your journey and it makes me really want to take up yoga again. I really shoud, but there's a wall for some reason. Perhaps I should keep insisting and see what's on the other side!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this! I'm about to start a teacher training this month and I'm so nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you had a good time, I have only become a regular since you went away, and have been waiting in anticipation to here how you got on. I would love to follow in your foot steps in a couple of years :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so proud of you!
    That moment that you did the camel was one of the most powerful moments for me too baby! Being right there when you did it was fantastic!

    Boom Boom....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing this! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look radiant! Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ditto to the above comment. You do look fantastic, Nina. Your skin is glowing! Must be from all that yoga and healthy food! I cant wait to hear more about your experience too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. NINA! I'm obsessed with ustrasana now, too!! What is going on?? I've done it as part of my practice the past two days, and it wasn't scary or hard or anything!! Oh my gosh, delayed reaction Kripalu effect. I miss you SO much, and love you even more than that. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, the camel pose. Lord knows how it kills me. It IS interesting how what you loathe to do is actually what you need to work on most of all. Nature's way, I suppose. Happy to know that you have since mastered it like a pro. Sounds like it was a life-altering experience; thanks for sharing special moments of the journey with us!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to spend time at Kripalu, so go ahead ask me why I have never taken a yoga class and I will tell you I don't have a good reason. Finding your blog on a google cruise ( OK I admit I am a bit obsessed with where my wedding hangers show up in a google search) and I found your blog and have enjoyed it. So aren't you getting married this month? I am such a sucker for romance and can't wait to see pictures from your wedding.....I loved the wood and wool webs site. Her wooden trees are adorable and the pillows remind me of my favorite auntie and her hangers remind me of my grandmother. I love that you want to pass the hanger on to future generations. That hanger will be cherished for it's connection to you and the fact that it was hand made

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear...I forgot to tell you, because of your blog I have singed up for my first yoga class for the over the hill gang, starting this month. Thanks so much for the inspiration. I figured if you could spend all that time learning to teach it I could at least take a class, even if it is not one of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds amazing! I have a bit of a secret dream of becoming a yoga teacher :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.