on coffee.

<span class=
(a scene from this morning)

my love for coffee is about so much more than the caffeine. even, dare i say, the flavor. although, the flavor is divine: rich, rustic, and earthy goodness.

my morning cup of coffee is a ritual of pausing. a moment to acknowledge the start of a new day.

i measure the grinds, pour in the water, listen to the hissing steam of the machine as the coffee starts to drip, drip, drip. then the swirl of the cream, slow deliberate sips, the warmth of the mug, and my thoughts.

of course, some days, simon does all of the above, (he he) and the cup of coffee delivered to my hands becomes a ritual of love.

together, we drink coffee, side by side... talk about the day ahead. and we cheers.

a cup of coffee, a new beginning. it really is quite wonderful.


p.s. lately, i have been educating myself about fair trade coffee, and if you're interested in learning more, please visit here.

20 comments:

  1. :) this made me smile! thank you.
    i'm going to make a concious effort to take more time to enjoy morning coffee now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always look forward to my morning cup of coffee. It's the perfect time to take pause and reflect. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm a habitual coffee drinker as well. sunday mornings are my favorite to enjoy a cup of joe. thanks for the mention of fair trade. i've been drinking it for years ever since a friend who lived in costa rica for awhile told me about the importance of drinking fair trade.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I love this post. Couldn't have said it better myself. I love my coffee pause in the morning. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how you speak of it as a ritual! Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful meditation on the power of simple rituals. Love it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful note about coffee...
    I felt, like you are talking about me :)
    Thank you for sharing!

    cheers from another coffee lover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sounds wonderful when you put it that way.
    Let's see, what do I do in the morning -
    try to wake up. Fail.
    Try to wake up. Fail. Snooze. Double snooze.
    Wake up enough to think about coffee.
    Almost get out of bed.
    Snooze.
    Wake up and slowly drag myself in the direction of the kitchen, thinking that as long as I can reach the coffee maker I will be okay.
    Eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, I love your description of this beloved ritual. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is yet another reason we are friends. Can't WAIT until we can have a coffee date in person! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautifully written! i love the feel of the warm cup...especially as the seasons change from summer to fall. i am currently unable to drink coffee as i just found out that i am pregnant - and man, it's been TOUGH!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You already know we share this passion. I'm fairly certain we are the only two people who brought Starbucks VIA to yoga teacher training. Even at Kripalu my cup of instant coffee around 6:20am was exactly the ritual you speak of. A chance to pause for a moment before rushing to sadhana!!! I got an espresso machine for Christmas last year, so I make lattes every morning. There is nothing like sitting on the deck with a homemade latte before starting the day!!! LOVE YOU!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. well said, nina. i love the idea of "cheers-ing" coffee in the morning with the one you love. what a great ritual.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfectly stated. My feelings exactly! xxoo :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poetic approach to your morning coffee ritual.....keep enjoying it!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great post, and that mug features one of my all-time favorite quotes. It's on my refrigerator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. mmmm yes yes yes! so perfectly said.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Couldn't have said it better myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I feel the same exact way!

    And I love your mug...I have that same quote as a magnet on my fridge. It's a great reminder to me each day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. love coffee and love this post. i need to slow down and enjoy my coffee more in the mornings. and thanks for the link b/a i am always interested in learning more about fair trade.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.