one of my favorite poems.


when faces called flowers float out of the ground
and breathing is wishing and wishing is having-
but keeping is downward and doubting and never
-it’s april (yes, april; my darling) it’s spring!
yes the pretty birds frolic as spry as can fly
yes the little fish gambol as glad as can be
(yes the mountains are dancing together)



when every leaf opens without any sound
and wishing is having and having is giving-
but keeping is doting and nothing and nonsense
-alive; we’re alive, dear: it’s (kiss me now) spring!
now the pretty birds hover so she and so he
now the little fish quiver so you and so i
(now the mountains are dancing, the mountains)


when more than was lost has been found has been found
and having is giving and giving is living-
but keeping is darkness and winter and cringing
-it’s spring (all our night becomes day) o,it’s spring!
all the pretty birds dive to the heart of the sky
all the little fish climb through the mind of the sea
(all the mountains are dancing; are dancing)


e.e. cummings


(photo credits: skullkid, cinderellusion, hearblack)

25 comments:

  1. Beautiful indeed. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely poem! & I love the photos you combined with it... xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful. You always have the sweetest things to post. I love reading your blog everyday.

    Nicole
    http://lettersfromcoco.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, lovely...exactly that. And these are images are so wonderfully paired...
    Now I feel ready for the day. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this made me smile.
    thank you for sharing it.
    ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. So beautiful and happy! Thanks for sharing...I have never heard this one before!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love it! i was in a poem-y mood today too! love ee, but posted Keats today...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thank God every day for sending us the brilliance of e.e. cummings. His poems light up our lives and make them magical. Thanks for sharing, Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh and don't forget to check out my giveaway
    www.wild-and-precious.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love e.e. cummings. Thanks for sharing! Beautiful photos, too. xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. wonderful poem! It really shows the beauty of spring's creatures. I'm so happy spring is here!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh yes, i LOVE this. e.e. cummings is brilliant, one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. E.E. Cummings is one of my most favorites poets. Love your post :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. no words for this one. beautiful poem, really.

    ReplyDelete
  15. e.e. cummings is one of my favorite poets. during my days in my acting studio in college, we used to recite e.e. cummings' poems in class. there was something magical about the rhythm and his words. they just took flight.

    ReplyDelete
  16. what a beautiful poem that perfectly captures the essence of spring. thank you SO much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahh this is one of my favorites too! thanks for sharing - so perfectly paired with the photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a great poem and I love the photos you put with it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i'm *so* happy you all like this poem too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nina - This post was very timely for a stream of spring posts I am doing. The poem was the perfect compliment to a series of photos I was posting yesterday. Thanks so much sharing and for the inspiration!
    Have a beautiful Spring day!

    www.bethhayhurstblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. what a beautiful poem! i love e.e. cummings. thanks for sharing nina!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing, Nina! What a lovely example of e.e. cummings and his deeply personal style. This poem, for some reason, reminds me a great deal of T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock."

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.