little surprises.


the other day, simon picked me up from work and as soon as i got in the car, he handed me my favorite sparkling water (and a cup of ice!) just because.

the truth is, he does things like that all the time. but it never gets old and (funnily enough) always catches me by surprise.

on this particular day, it really reminded me how far the little things go. it made my (semi-crappy) day, a thousand times better, and as we drove away, i poured the drink over the crackling ice and took a big gulp. "ahhhh."

so i ask you... what little, unexpected thing could you do for someone today? :)

(photo credit: sannah kvist)

23 comments:

  1. i went and got my J♥ her favorite salad for lunch and delivered it with a smile :)

    i agree it's the littlest things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - truly evidence of a nearly perfect man! simon is the greatest.. you two are so awesome! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's so sweet that he did that with the water:) i'm like you - the little surprises STILL always seem so unexpected, never gets old. love that!

    unexpected thing i will do today: i already have a fresh bouquet of flowers waiting for S in the bedroom. oh, and the dishes are done! score!

    ReplyDelete
  4. aw you guys are the sweetest :) i love it! and you've inspired me to do a little something for my someone! <3 happy monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i'm a note-leaver. i like to write little notes on stickies or napkins or whatever is lying around. my favorite is to do this when i see people's cars in the parking lot, and i stick the notes on their windshield under the wiper. fun-sies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love posts like this! You two sound like you're always so sweet to each other. One time I made happy birthday signs and got all my and my bf's friends together, each holding a letter, and photographed it for his bday card. I think he liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you asked what we could do instead of what did someone else do for us. Simon seems like a wonderful man, Nina. I'm so happy for you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww it definitely is the little things that count:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I realised in highschool how much of a difference little spontaneous gestures can make so I totally love doing this kind of thing and lukily so does my guy but I get flowers or dinner made when i'm exhausted. we have keepers on our hands :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Simon stories! He sounds like SUCH a great guy. The little surprises get me everytime, too. They are the absolute best!

    When I was still in college (and lived 2 hours away), after a long weekend my fiance would have to get up and go to work super early. I slept in a little then made the drive back home to school. I always made the bed, and sometimes I would leave cute notes on or under his pillow.

    But here are some fun surprises if you're living together: Send them a lovey postcard through the mail, send them a video message while they're at work just saying hello, surprise baked goods are always a winner, or unexpected romantic dinner at home with candles, music etc.!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i LOVE doing little things like this for people... seeing their smile is just priceless to me. :)

    there's an amazing organization called 'art feeds' that i've been meaning to blog about, and they've started a movement called "random acts of kindness", where they challenge people to do little things to brighten someone's day... like pay for the person behind you at starbucks, leave a flower on someone's windshield in a parking lot, leave a note of encouragement in a book in the library or a bookstore, plant flowers in your parents yard while they're gone. things like that... i love what they're doing in getting a lot of young people involved, it's so beautiful to see! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that the "just because" things are the real foundations to a relationship. They carry more weight than a well-planned, romantic gesture.

    The other day, my boyfriend brought me a pack of plastic spoons before work because I had mentioned that I had to eat my yogurt with a fork the previous two days.

    Sometimes, "I care" means more than "I love you."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, this is wonderful :) I gave Andrew a back rub the other night--lots of lotion--even though I'm the one who's pregnant. It's good to share those relaxers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww you guys are so sweet! i love these ideas :) you're all geniuses! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. i love the unexpected special little things!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh thats so sweet. now you have me thinking what little thing i could do for someone today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's so beautiful. The little things are what matter most.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's really sweet. It's all about the small stuff - it sounds like you have got yourself a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminder to be intentional about the "little things". Kelly Ann, I like those ideas of doing it for a stranger. I know when a kind thing was said or done for me it definitely made my day, especially since you never know what that person's day is like. In-spirational :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's so sweet! Doesn't it just make your day infinitely better?

    My fiance makes my lunch for me every morning. When I get to work, I find oddball lunch combinations that make me laugh, love notes and little treats. On days that he can't make my lunch, I start to miss the foil wrapped dill pickles, can of beans and Butterfinger. I know he's being serious when he packs these things, which makes it even more endearing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. so sweet. i totally agree that it's the little gestures that come from someone truly loving and thinking about our needs and likes and feelings...large gestures are great too (of course!) but they don't require the same attention, consistency and dedication as the small ones.

    thanks, as always, for your gentle, sweet take on things.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Those flowers and your blog are very beautiful :) xx

    Have a fabulous Tuesday!!!
    http://hopechella.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. i like to leave little construction paper hearts around nyc with my favorite quotes. like "love is real" by john lennon. i'd like to think that people on the subway will find these messages and smile. and not use them to stick their gum!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.