a bedtime story.



i've probably mentioned this before, but i have the (annoying) habit of asking simon to "tell me a story". i tend to do this a lot at bedtime, because a part of me (still) loves falling asleep to the sound of someone's voice.

well, last night when simon wasn't home, i suddenly had the idea to load up an audio book onto my iphone and listen to it in bed. (i listened to it on the speakers. headphones and pillows = ouch.)

upon the recommendation of a friend, i got the book the girl with the dragon tattoo, (originally the swedish book män som hatar kvinnor). and well, an hour later, i was still wide awake in bed.

the book is not only vaguely familiar to me because of its swedish backdrop, but it's also incredibly intriguing and suspenseful. not to mention that the narrator, simon vance, has the perfect, british story-telling voice.

i can hardly wait to get back into bed tonight so i can hear more of the story!

tell me, have any of you read it? and do you ever listen to audio books at bedtime? it's so lovely; i highly recommend it.

31 comments:

  1. My aunt just gave me that book to read two days ago! I can't wait to finish the current book I'm reading to start that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is excellent! As are the two follow up books. Keep reading.. er, listening!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The series is out of control good! I am eagerly awaiting book 3...
    And I too love to listen to audio books at bedtime. Right now I am listening to Roald Dahl's "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" read by the author. He has the most incredible voice and it is such a great story!
    Love, P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been wanting to read this book, it's everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book is in my to-read pile, but I may bump it up and read it now, instead...(I love that you ask your guy to 'tell you a story', I do that too)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no, this is most definitely a wide awake all night for many nights...wildly complicated book.

    ...and it is now the Movie is out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love listening to books when I go to bed! I recently listened to Little Women and Mansfield Park. The only problem is I do eventually fall asleep and then I have to scroll back until I get to the last part I remember. It takes a long time, but it's a lovely way to fall asleep.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read this book last year and loved. I agree, it's a hard one to put down. You'll love the ending. They have made it into a movie, and they are working on remaking it into an American version.
    This is a series. I haven't read any of the others, because I'm not a fan of series books. But, I have heard that the others are just as good as this one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have read this book and the one after it. Can't wait to read the third one! They definitely keep you up wanting to read/hear more. The only time I usually listen to audiobooks is on long car trips. They really help to keep me awake and engaged instead of zoning out and drifting to sleep! :)

    The movie is also playing here in LA. I may go see it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, but have been hesitant for a reason I can't really pinpoint. I'm so glad you're liking it on tape! Just another rec that makes me want to pick it up ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha! im always bugging the boyfriend to tell me stories too..and he does try his best (: funny i just watched half of that movie last night...it was 3 hours long..finishing it up today. audio books sound like a genius idea and a good alternative when you don't want to strain your eyes before bedtime (: xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm in two different book clubs (one with friends and one at work) and got into a reading bind once trying to read everything. I decided to try audiobooks and listen to them the book on my way to and from work. It's a great time saver!

    I haven't thought of listening to them before bed, but what a nice idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i'm working on it right now... the old-fashioned way!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't listen to them at bedtime, but I listen to them in the car all the time. I have to be in the car anyway to drive to and from work so I figure that I might as well make use of the time!

    I'm glad to hear that you like The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo so far. I haven't read it yet, but you're the second person who's blogged about it in the past week so I might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. my fiance and i live 3 hours apart, so he tells me stories on the phone so when we say goodnight. isn't it the best? :)
    and thankjs for the book recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. when I really can't sleep (which isn't often), I'll put my iPod and headphones on with a recording of my hypnotherapist, or those holosync sleep learning tracks. When there is something different going to each ear it is hard to concentrate on one or the other and it sends me straight off to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Nina!

    I looooved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! I read it a couple of months ago, and I just roared through the sequel, The Girl who Played with Fire (which was equally delightful- it just came out in paperback recently)! Can't wait for the third installation, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest, out in June!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I also like falling asleep to the sound of a voice. Both the New Yorker and PRI have podcasts of short stories being read aloud. I highly recommend them if you enjoy stories - they are short enough that you won't stay up all night wanting to listen, have fantastic readers (Jhumpa Lahiri, George Saunders, Joyce Carol Oates (all from the New Yorker); David Rakoff, David Straitharn, Stockard Channing (all from PRI Selected Shorts), and they're free! You can find them at New Yorker Fiction and PRI Selected Shorts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've been so curious about this book!! I definitely need to pick up a copy!

    Oh, and I'm all about bedtime stories! I typically fall asleep on page two or three, so my boyfriend picked up Einstein's Dreams. It's an amazing book of short stories that I highly recommend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. do yourselves a favour and read all 3 books in the Millenium Series - it will have you missing your bus stop in the morning, skipping your favorite TV shows and staying up till all hours reading. it's a real page turner..... Lisbeth is a great heroine!

    el

    (all 3 books and the movie are already out in Australia)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i have been dying to read this! i stumbled upon it recently when i was reading about how they're currently casting roles for the movie adaptation (supposedly carey mulligan is going to be in it, and she is just perfection!)... and once i read a synopsis of the story, i have been wanting to get my hands on a copy of the book so bad!

    and what a brilliant idea - audio books during bedtime! i can't wait to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy is the best audiobook! He narrates and stage actors do the voices. Plus, the story is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I say the same thing to my hubby all the time "Tell me a story". He says, "About what?" I say "About anything ...." Haven't heard of the book but sounds interesting. Love your posts =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. i loved this book! i thought the family tree part dragged on a bit but loved the mystery!

    ReplyDelete
  25. On my to read pile. I do enjoy audio books. They let me multi task (knit, tidy up etc.) and they're really good for road trips.

    ReplyDelete
  26. ooh, i've been dying to read this book, but i never thought of downloading the audiobook. i've actually never listened to books on tape, but i might try it now after reading your post. great blog you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just checked it out from the library, can't wait to get started, thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I read this book awhile ago and couldn't put it down. Can't wait to start the next in the series
    Love your blog

    www.lonemor.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. I, too, love falling asleep to the sound of my boyfriend's story time voice. An audiobook is definitely the next best thing, though!

    I, like most people, really enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and I have the next two books waiting for me on my nightstand. I loved the lonely, stark Swedish landscape; it was the perfect backdrop to a murder mystery.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.