yoga for anxiety, part three.



hello friends and yogis,

this is my final post in a three-part series of my favorite yoga poses for calming anxiety. (as i mentioned previously, i am not a certified yoga teacher, so this is just my personal experience.)

the first two poses in the series were child's pose and legs up the wall pose. today i'd like to show you savasana (it is also referred to as corpse pose, but i don't like that name. it's too morbid.)

savasana is typically the final pose of a yoga practice, (sometimes also the first) but there is no reason you can't enjoy this pose on its own. the basic idea is to put your body in a neutral position, and then soften and relax.

to begin, lie on your back, spread your arms and legs about 45 degrees from your body and rest your head comfortably on the floor. make sure you are warm enough; i sometimes use a blanket and/or an eye pillow. inhale and exhale naturally. try to release tension from all the different parts of your body, and just be.

if you fall asleep, congratulations. :)

how many of you love this pose? i know i do. it's especially rewarding after a rigorous yoga practice although i often enjoy it in bed too, heh. have you ever tried it?

7 comments:

  1. I also like this pose. After a difficult class I often cry (not audibly, just tears come from my eyes). I love it because I feel like the anxiety and stress is leaving my body through my tears.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite poses, also. I think it is so relaxing and a great way to end each yoga practice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pose but have such a hard time staying in it for more than a couple minutes!

    I find that the more physically exhausting my yoga practices is, the more relaxed I can be in savasana (an eye pillow helps me too). And the more intense my practice, the more important savasana! It is my time to rest and be gentle with my body.

    Thanks for the post!
    Christina
    www.prescribingyoga.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. my anxiety is getting the best of me lately so I think I'm going to try this. THank you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Savasana is truly a heavenly posture. It's also so very important--as it is the time when our bodies have the opportunity to soak up and absorb the day's practice. It always makes me a bit sad if someone leaves class before this pose. That's one of the reasons why, when I teach, I try to really emphasize that Savasana is one of the most important, if not THE most important, poses of the practice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sometimes i get tired during my yoga class after a long day and want to sneak out early but i always remember this pose that my teacher always ends with and stick it out to the end. favorite after downward dog, lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have to admit, this is like the very best part of yoga for me. every single time.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.