under the weather.


this is about how i feel today. anyone know of any magic cold remedies?

(photo credit: sarah lownes)

31 comments:

  1. I don't take aspirin anymore, but when I did this worked a treat. It's basically a hot lemon drink on steroids. In your favourite mug combine...

    - juice of one lemon
    - a big table spoon of honey (or as much as you need to sweeten the lemon juice)
    - about 5 or 6 good slices of fresh ginger
    - 2 disolvable aspirin
    - fill with hot water and disolve honey, let steep for a minute or too.

    It's actually a pretty yummy drink, and always made me feel heaps better. Hope your right soon.

    Mx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it might not be magic. But a hot ginger ale helps a lot for me... Get well soon...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have any home remedies but I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lots and lots of white tea!! it can cure anything. and sleep! and good movies! feel better. xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm right there with you, Nina. I hate taking sick days, but I'm planning on nurturing myself with lots of hot tea and oranges. Once my mug of tea is empty, it's back to bed for me. Sleep is a miracle worker! Feel better soon...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Theraflu! Or Tylenol Cold & Sinus Warming! Both in the bottle...you have to take it at night (or during the day, if you want to nap), but it'll make you feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for all these great tips! right now i'm taking cold-eeze, but it tastes terrible...

    ReplyDelete
  8. over here in south africa we recommend you get outside in the sun & work up a sweat (it cures everything) but i guess you dont have much sun there right now ...

    ReplyDelete
  9. TheraFlu really does change your life! And call me old-fashioned (or maybe just my mother's daughter), but I believe in the tried and true chicken noodle soup! Feel better :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hot yoga, hot chai tea, a good long nap under a warm puffy blanket, and puppy kisses. That's my miracle combo. (Hot yoga and tea probably being the key components). Hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh puppy kisses? yes please! i wish i had one :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure what they have in health food stores there, but if you can find something that combines echinaecea, thyme, zinc and propolis it will probably help.

    I've got a fever today and a bit of nausea :-S Bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hot water and lemon (or tea if you prefer), good movies, lots of rest and definitely sleep and bubble baths! Feel better soon, Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  14. oh you should boil some lemon and peppermint for like 5 minutes.. then filter it while pouring into the glass and drink it without sugar.. it comes really good!! and you shouldn't peel out the lemon. you should slice it without peeling.. you can put a teaspoon of honey too..

    hope you'll get better soon..

    love.xxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. i would say keep drinking tea, but alternate what type of tea. i would start with a lemon and honey mix and then have some echinacea...i always then have anise tea. have you tried it? it is surprisingly amazing. it is the tea that they serve you when you walk into aveda stores. you can get cheaper brands at vitamin cottage and whole foods. my grandmother was greek and lebanese and swore by honey, lemon, and anise.

    ReplyDelete
  16. neti pot, gentle yin yoga, epsom salt bath, tea with honey, and maybe try a juice fast (so your body can focus it's energy on healing rather than digesting)...

    hope you feel better soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh poor Nina. :( The alka seltzer cold and flu tablets that disolve in water work surprisingly well for me. Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope you feel better! I was sick the week of Christmas too. :( I didn't get to rest, so you should just rest a lot...drink some tea and take cold meds.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Boil some water and then breathe in the steam through your mouth and nose. This clears the sinuses and the heat is also supposed to kill off germs before you get sick.

    ReplyDelete
  20. i'm one of those people that loads myself up with anything and everything i can find in my medicine cabinet whenever i feel like i might be getting sick... not everyone is a fan of that, though. :/
    try some fresh brewed ginger and cinnamon tea with lemon and honey. and lots and LOTS of sleep.
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  21. Zycam has always worked well for me. You put the gel in your nose. It sounds weird but is effective!

    ReplyDelete
  22. lots of tea with good honey.
    if your stomach is iffy a great, though sometimes difficult way is to take a garlic clove, cut it in half or quarters and swollow each like a pill. then follow it up with some ginger tea. do this twice a day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Relaxing with hot tea, garlic everything, and soup (spicy pho works for me), while watching Dirty Rotton Scoundrels does the trick for me : )

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. haha!
    great picture!
    i think we all have days like that

    ReplyDelete
  25. If you have a cold. Drink Grape Juice (it clings to all the toxins) and then Green tea right after in flushes them out.

    I was sick for weeks during a play I was working on a friend suggested it to me and I was feeling fully better by the next day

    ReplyDelete
  26. sad. no good suggestions, but I hope you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  27. you guys are all so sweet. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Echinacea Tea with honey & lemon. It really helps make ya feel a lil better. =)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ha ha ha! I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You're probably already on the mend.. but this is what I do when I feel a cold coming on (and being a voice over artist, I can't afford to get a cold... ever!!!)

    Infuser tea pot...

    Chop up one red chilli
    add some ginger
    juice of a lemon
    bit of honey
    a crushed clove of garlic

    Pour over boiling water and let sit for a few minutes before pouring yourself a cup

    Taste crapola but works wonders!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.