
about a month ago, a friend sent me a text message that read: "stuck at chicago airport, bleurgh. just picked up the happiness project and it made me think of you. have you read it?"
i was instantly flattered. never mind that i hadn't actually read the book, i had heard amazing reviews and it warmed my heart that my friend thought of me and happiness together.
needless to say, i picked it up, and read the whole thing in a matter of days. and i loved it.
as someone who believes that happiness is a choice, and requires daily effort, the book really resonated with me. that being said, i am, at my core, a generally happy person, so i loved that the premise of the book was that nothing needed to be particularly wrong in order for someone to seek more happiness.
the set up of the book is that author, gretchen rubin, spends a year experimenting with different happiness resolutions, and shares her insights along the way. they include singing in the morning, taking more pictures, meditating, eating more real food, and much more.
i loved the book so much, i'm even toying with the idea of starting my own happiness project... it would include resolutions such as spending less time online, (and also spending more time outside), being more patient, reading more non-fiction books, going (indoor) rock-climbing, and enhancing my dinner making repertoire.
now i'm curious, have you read the book, or started your own happiness project? i'd love to hear about it.
i was instantly flattered. never mind that i hadn't actually read the book, i had heard amazing reviews and it warmed my heart that my friend thought of me and happiness together.
needless to say, i picked it up, and read the whole thing in a matter of days. and i loved it.
as someone who believes that happiness is a choice, and requires daily effort, the book really resonated with me. that being said, i am, at my core, a generally happy person, so i loved that the premise of the book was that nothing needed to be particularly wrong in order for someone to seek more happiness.
the set up of the book is that author, gretchen rubin, spends a year experimenting with different happiness resolutions, and shares her insights along the way. they include singing in the morning, taking more pictures, meditating, eating more real food, and much more.
i loved the book so much, i'm even toying with the idea of starting my own happiness project... it would include resolutions such as spending less time online, (and also spending more time outside), being more patient, reading more non-fiction books, going (indoor) rock-climbing, and enhancing my dinner making repertoire.
now i'm curious, have you read the book, or started your own happiness project? i'd love to hear about it.
nina, i've been meaning to pick up this book since i spotted it before the holidays. i cannot wait to read it; i'm thinking about over my vacation in july.
ReplyDeleteI have been meaning to read this book for some time. I love the idea that anyone can seek more happiness even if life, in general, is very good :) Thanks for sharing your review. This is now on my list of Summer reads..
ReplyDeleteI haven't read the book, but I've been a fan of her blog. I absolutely agree that happiness is a choice, and it's something I've continued to focus on. My resolutions include being more patient with my kids, doing more yoga, continuing to eat lots of real food (mostly veggies), keeping in touch with my long-distance friends and family, nurturing my local friendships, and spending quality time with my guitar.
ReplyDeleteoh, i loved the happiness project. i underlined and earmarked so many lines and pages. i loved gretchen's style of writing and how relatable she is. i couldn't agree more -- i think i am a generally happy person, but i love that there is always more happiness to be found. i think too often, people try to do something so BIG to get to that place. they feel like they have to travel the world, give up everything -- when in reality, it can really just be small changes and a shift in perspective. i love that. i also read gretchen's blog! lots of great tidbits there. so glad you read it and loved it. xo
ReplyDeletehaven't read the book, but it's definitely on my list! will definitely download it to my iPad soon for all the upcoming train rides I've got coming up :)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of having your own happiness project.. I'm always better at doing things to improve myself when I set a goal to do so!
I really liked it when I read it last summer! I loved how normal she is too. I tend to feel like I'm the only person in the world who doesn't want to fill their calendar with happy hours and other social activities, so I enjoyed the parts where she talked about her solitary interests and how reading/writing was part of everything for her.
ReplyDeleteoooh! this book has been on my list for quite a while. i might just have to pick it up :)
ReplyDeletei love the idea of this book! i agree that happiness is a choice, a choice that i too often do not make. i should pick this up at the library.
ReplyDeleteI read it and enjoyed it. I guess in the end I wish there was more of HER---she did include lots of posts/comments from others from her blog throughout...
ReplyDeletefunny, i just read the book myself. picked it up at the airport in april. loved it. i love that it's about being more aware -- more aware of what fills your life with joy and what doesn't and being okay with who you are. "just be gretchen." that was a perspective shift for me. instead of thinking i should like something because those close to me did, i had the choice to be comfortable saying no, thanks, i actually don't want to do that. i love the idea of a happiness project and tailoring it to your own desires. i have been thinking about the same thing. i think it would cultivate a positive habit of awareness and truthfulness.
ReplyDeletei loved this quotation from the book:
http://www.mycreativefling.com/2011/06/saint-therese-of-lisieux.html
look forward to hearing if you do it.....
This has been on my Amazon wishlist for MONTHS. Maybe this pay day I'll get round to buying it!
ReplyDeletei am in progress, and i already know i will read it again!
ReplyDeleteI bought this book and my mother stole it from me (typical)...she loved it so much she went out and bought me my own copy. I was just sitting down to read it tonight when I decided to check on some email- and saw this post! How weird/wonderful! I'll let you know what I think when I'm done!
ReplyDeleteI haven't read it but I've been following her blog for years, even before her book came out. I remember reading about how excited she was to see it in a bookstore window for the first time. :)
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of happiness projects. You should watch her youtube channel.
I have read the book and I agree when you said that nothing needed to be particularly wrong in order for someone to seek more happiness. I too believe I am a generally happy person and would love to start my own happiness project. Not sure exactly would be on my list but it's definitely one of those books that makes the wheels turn about what brings you genuine happiness and how you can bring more of that into your daily life.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with your own :) project!
K
i really want to read this book!
ReplyDeleteyes, happiness is a choice. It's also hard work and requires courage. I think I'll read this book soon.
ReplyDeletethis is off topic... but i am so glad you are back. missed you!
ReplyDeleteI read this book and it also really resonated with me. I liked the idea of breaking little things down and focusing on them for a short period of time. I agree happiness is a CHOICE and a lot of people don't see it that way anymore...
ReplyDeleteDo you know whats really weird, just today i stumbled over a scrumpled scrap piece of paper as i was cleaning out my uni room (stressful times!) with a few book names on it i meant to purchase a while back but obviously forgot about, and this was the top one, so im very grateful for this review as its given me the final push needed to fork out the dosh and buy it! Sounds like a great read, im looking forward to getting into it :)
ReplyDeletei love this i really want to read this book!
ReplyDeleteno thanks for the tip, I had only heard people talk about it
ReplyDeleteLOVED IT!!! searching for more happiness.... such a great concept!
ReplyDeleteI didn't know this book existed! I do a similar thing on my blog and now I am so excited to check out this book and see someone else's experience doing the same thing! :)
ReplyDeletewhat a fantastic post... and a great find for a book to add to my reading list. though i didn't give it a title like the happiness project, my blog was started as a way for me to focus on the positive things in life, things that make my day better and thus, happier. it's been a great way to make sure that i take to heart the good things that happen every day. it also includes my list for 2011 - i make a list every year of things that i want to focus on/learn/do instead of making a resolution; all of them are working towards more happiness too. so glad i stumbled across your blog and looking forward to reading the rest of your posts!
ReplyDelete