i belong among a field of wildflowers. i belong in a boat out at sea.


Wild flowers on the dashboard.

moving is a little unsettling. cardboard boxes take over your surroundings, and shit, where are your favorite worn-out, soft sleeping pants? (they could be anywhere.)

despite my valiant efforts to stay sane, which include listening to the good music while packing, and spontaneous bouquets of wild flowers, i've had a couple of melt downs. this is normal, no?

what are your secrets for staying balanced during times of transition?  

18 comments:

  1. I am struggling with this right now. I'm moving from Central Maine to the Portsmouth NH area in two weeks. Lots of sleepness nights worrying and making mental to-do lists. I find quiet dinners at home and funny movies help me keep my sanity during this exciting (!) yet stressful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle- you're so close by! Too bad you're leaving Maine. :( We've been watching movies at night too - i agree that it's great way to ease that monkey mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate that feeling of being unsettled; I even get it when I rearrange a room in my house! As someone who is very routine oriented, I completely understand how you feel. BUT, part of what helps is the excitement of getting to set everything up again, like you're building your dream house all at once.
    And, of course, you're in Maine! Before you know it, you will be completely at home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Nina, I'm in the process of a big move myself and have had a few melt-downs, too! Honestly, and I know this might not sound mature or "put together," but I find that if I give in and just let myself cry or scream, even for just a second, it helps get all the negativity out. The madness of boxing up and being discombobulated is going to be there no matter what, so I just give in for a moment and then move on :-) I've actually found some fun in being a little messier than usual these days, knowing that, in the end, it'll end up in a box in our new home no matter what. (Thinking about the headache of unpacking will come later...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh, I'm not sure! If you figure it out let me know as we have a BIG move coming up ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. lots and lots of yoga. and tea breaks. and nights like the one you wrote about in your last post probably help too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One project at a time - and they don't even have to be big. I'd say, "I'm going to unpack these three boxes," and then I'd get caught up in the game of finding new places for things and I'd have more unpacked before I knew it. I also believe in getting out of the house for a bit because you'd be amazed at how much you've done when you're walking into the house from the outside - it's just hard to tell when you're in there because you only see what's left to be accomplished.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Totally normal, moving is one of the most stressful things you can do. Last time I moved we enlisted an army of family and friends to help us which meant that we moved and unpacked an entire house in one day. So that's my advice, rope people into helping you :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. unpacking as fast as possible. only thing that really works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Erin. Also, fresh flowers and a big ole bottle of red.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy music, lots of wine, and taking smooch breaks with your husband :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your blog. So much beauty here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know, my issue is staying content with not moving!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ah - thank you for this post - and for your sweet honesty in your frustration. I have moved three times in the last 3 years - the third move being in the next few weeks. It's so deceiving.. and just when you think are done packing up, more stuff shows up! I swear it comes out of the walls...

    One thing I do love to do whenever i move is find a new wonderful candle to have burning while I'm transitioning. It welcomes me into the new space and helps color the new season you are stepping into. I For the last few moves I have actually used the same scent - Ginger Citrus from Arbonne - ! So yummy! - but I literally have that thing burning the entire time I'm unpacking at the new spot - calming my nerves and helping me be happy about the new transition. Fragrances are so powerful...

    ReplyDelete
  15. alexis, wow that sounds yummy! i'll have to try it. such a great idea. xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. i always try to keep relaxing music (bon iver, ray, nellie mckay) playing and find an open spot on the floor, sit down and drink a glass of wine (quickly). a moment of tranquility will help you get back to work much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  17. i give myself some breather from moving - watching comedy, reading, jogging etc - some solitude time to adjust with things i like to do.
    and happy you are back! :)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.