my guide to boston {bakeries, pâtisseries, and desserts}



i have an enormous sweet tooth, so i didn't mind doing the research for this post... ahem.

no, but seriously, there are oodles of amazing places to grab a baguette or dessert in boston, so i haven't been able to visit them all. but here are a few that i have enjoyed and recommend:


i used to live around the block from this cute little bakery and absolutely adore their scones. they also have delicious breads, cookies, muffins and oatmeal. the decor is vintage and shabby chic which almost makes up for the fact that the staff are a little cranky. (it's still very much worth the visit, though.)

i'm probably biased since i'm norwegian, but i am a huge fan of this place. it's an authentic european style cafe and they use real imported marzipan in many of their (amazing) desserts. plus, every night they donate their extra pastries and breads to local schools, churches, charities and homeless shelters. awesome, eh?

finale desserts (cambridge)
this is a fanciful and romantic place to grab dessert on a date or with a group of girlfriends. they also have a nice wine menu, amazing crème brûlée, velvet seats and lots of candles.

clear flour bakery (brookline)
this bakery was just named "the best bread in
boston" by boston magazine. it's not a sit-down place, but rather a place to grab fresh bread on the way home from work or on a lazy sunday. cute and delicious!

iggy's bread (cambridge)
this little shop (which feels more like a warehouse) is next to an old rusty boxcar in an lesser-known part of cambridge. their breads are yummy and their website also has a lovely design - take a peek!

(photo credit: landscape hypochondria)

15 comments:

  1. Mmm...sounds so good. I can smell the fresh bread!

    ReplyDelete
  2. super cute site for bread! I'm intrigued by boston for many reasons but in particular now because I'm reading Interpreter of Maladies by jhumpa lahiri and much of it takes place in boston. incredible stories. lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i lived in boston so i could research these places too.. i also have an enormous sweet tooth...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I first started my blog, I thought about doing reviews of local cafes (I live in Boston, too!). However, I moved in a more literary direction.

    Thank you very much for this post. This sounds like a good excuse for a dessert crawl come fall, imo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They all sound heavenly, Nina... Good bread and a little dessert can work wonders -- especially when you can enjoy them in a welcoming café or bakery.

    Thanks for sharing ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I must vist and all I want to do is eat! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am currently fighting the urge to pop out to my local bakery and get myself a cupcake - this post has not helped!! :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. Talk about delicious research! Now I have to find a way to get to Boston...

    thanks Nina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooh! i'm heading to boston this afternoon, so this guide came at the perfect time. thanks, nina!

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds good! i hope to try these out soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. While we were there we fell for Mike's Pastry's in the North End. It was the greatest place ever, a little crowded, with some swearing people, but hey, that's the city.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I saw something on the food network about an all you can eat chocolate buffet in Boston....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for this! I'm currently thinking about moving to Boston, and the most important thing in my studies of the different cities I'm contending is the food! This helps tons!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I stumbled across your blog yesterday and I've fallen in love! I like seeing a blog based in Boston - I've lived here my whole life.

    I think there are also a ton of great cafes in the North End [where I live]. I know becuase I can smell them. Mmmm. Caffe Vittoria and Cafe Paradiso are my favorites!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.