wellness wednesdays: whole wheat banana bread

IMG_5885
...also known as the post where i justify eating baked goods.

i am not one for food rules. i feel like they give people unnecessary anxiety and guilt. but here is one rule that i can get behind: "eat as much junk food as you want, as long as you make it yourself." (michael pollan)

really? ok! here's the reasoning... could you (would you even want to?) make your own twinkie? or french fries? that sounds like a lot of work to me.

the theory is that as long as you're making your own junk food, you're taking the time to see where your food comes from. you're putting together whole ingredients, and you're avoiding preservatives. the bottom line: no person on this planet is going to whip out their deep fryer for every meal, every day. (ahem, i hope.) 

so, you're in the mood for banana bread? make one, but make it from scratch. as an added health bonus, throw in some whole wheat flour (go fiber!) instead of white flour, or apple sauce or plain, non-fat yogurt instead of canola or vegetable oil. 

easy, right?


without further ado, here is my delicious, wholesome, crispy-on-the-outside, soft-on-the-inside, i made it myself! banana bread:

ingredients:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup
whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup
 flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon
 baking powder
1/2 teaspoon
 salt
1/2 teaspoon
 baking soda
1 cup
 mashed ripe banana
2/3 cup
 sugar
3/4 cup
 plain low-fat yogurt
  • directions:
    preheat oven to 325°. combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl. then combine banana and yogurt in a separate small bowl. add together until moist. spoon the batter into a 9 x 5–inch greased loaf pan. bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted into the center comes out clean. cool on a wire rack, and remove from pan. slice and serve warm.voila!
* * *
now, i'd love to hear... what's your favorite home-made junk food? and do you have any other genius, healthy baking substitutes?

    22 comments:

    1. I love this idea. Does this mean I have to get an ice cream maker? :)

      ReplyDelete
    2. habbala, yes! :) but that's not so bad right?

      ReplyDelete
    3. This looks so good! Definitely should start baking more of my own treats...

      ReplyDelete
    4. Habbala - I'm with you!! I like this rule and almost never buy baked goods. Pies and cakes and breads and cookies are so much better when homemade anyway, and I do like to try to make them as healthy as possible. I haven't used yogurt in my banana bread before - I think I'll give this one a shot!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Sounds and looks good. I've been looking for a banana bread recipe with whole wheat flour, since we love to have it but I always hesitate on the all-purpose flour. Thanks for sharing.

      ReplyDelete
    6. yum! this looks amazing. and love the michael pollan quote & philosophy, so true!

      ReplyDelete
    7. i make muffins every week, and i always use as much whole wheat flour as i can get away with! i've never heard of substituting yogurt for oil though, i'll be trying that this week!

      ReplyDelete
    8. i am TOTALLY down with that philosophy. i love banana bread.. i'll have to try it with whole wheat flour & yogurt next time!

      ReplyDelete
    9. nina, that's one of my faaaavorite lessons in his entire book. seriously, love that one. cause, like you said, who is gonna get a whole vat of hot oil for french fries everytime the mood strikes?

      a crazy person maybe. but not me.

      love love love banana bread, you, and michael pollan.

      ReplyDelete
    10. favorite homemade snack is chocolate beet muffins! incredible!

      substitutions:: coconut oil! cacao powder!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Yummy, looks delish! I too love coconut oil as well as white beans.....they add tons of moisture with a side order of nutrition :)

      ReplyDelete
    12. This looks so tasty! Michael Pollan rocks my world.

      ReplyDelete
    13. ok, so weird. i was googling a whole wheat banana bread recipe and your blog popped up! i haven't check my blog reader today. it was meant to be :)

      ReplyDelete
    14. That sounds delicious! Now I just need to learn how to cook...let alone bake....
      <3 Kiersten

      ReplyDelete
    15. i find the babycakes vegan banana bread with chocolate chips goes down really, really well. love this post. and really, really love your blog.

      ReplyDelete
    16. Love Michael Pollan, and love banana bread even more! I will be trying this in the near future. Thanks!

      ReplyDelete
    17. Ohh it looks so good! And I love that quote! :)

      ReplyDelete
    18. This bread looks really delicious. When I crave french fries I cut up a few russet potatoes into thick slices, toss in olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt and pepper. Roast until brown and crispy on the outside. Better than the fried version, in my opinion!

      ReplyDelete
    19. So excited! My betty crocker recipe tastes great but has so much sugar! I've done a few whole wheat versions myself and they haven't turned out. Excited to try yours!

      ReplyDelete
    20. I sometimes make french fries and it is not hard work at all! The trick is to fry them in good olive oil for best taste. They are yummy and go very nicely with meat or fish. I've just discovered your blog and like it very much!

      ReplyDelete
    21. hey, hey.
      it's so true that homemade junk food is a lot better than store-bough junk food.
      I mean...you know :)

      good thoughts.

      ReplyDelete
    22. Thank you for another essential article. Where else could anyone get that kind of information in such a complete way of writing? I have a presentation incoming week, and I am on the lookout for such information.

      ReplyDelete

    thanks for hanging out and saying hello! i love reading your notes.